Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: Gaggia Evolution short circuit - washed the elements

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9

    Gaggia Evolution short circuit - washed the elements

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

    I have a Gaggia Evolution. I pulled it apart, cleaned it, put it back together and now it trips the circuit breaker.

    If I do not connect the heating elements it does not trip the circuit breaker. If I do not connect the thermostat on the side, it also does not trip the circuit breaker.

    I am pretty sure I got the wiring back correctly. I suspect that the problem is that I submerged the heating elements in water, in an ultrasound when I cleaned it. Although the resistance in the heating coils is around 21 ohm and the resistance between the heating coil terminals and the boiler case is infinite.

    Any suggestions on what to do?

    Buy a Silvia?

    Thanks, David.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    547
    Sportssedanman,
    First thing is either leave your machine disassembled to dry out or use a compressor to blow away the moisture and give it day or so and retry again to confirm whether moisture was to blame for the short,and tackle the further necessary action.
    Cheers
    Mick

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9

    Fixed

    Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Sportssedanman,
    First thing is either leave your machine disassembled to dry out or use a compressor to blow away the moisture and give it day or so and retry again to confirm whether moisture was to blame for the short,and tackle the further necessary action.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Thanks Mick, it is now fixed.

    I plugged it in with the earth lead to the boiler case disconnected. I switched it on and then tested the voltage between the earth wire and the case and it was less than one volt - so no major short circuit. I used an IR temperature probe to check the temperature of the coils as they heated up. As they heated up some steam came out of the coils, around the porcelain insulators at the top. Now it works fine (with the earth lead re-connected). Seems that heating the coils was the best way to get rid of the moisture.

    Note that I was EXTREMELY careful to not touch the boiler case when the earth lead was disconnected.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    547

    Gaggia Evolution issue

    Sportssedanman,
    Good to know your coffee is flowing correctly again,I'm interested in knowing how your cleaning with the ultrosonic went,I have one at my work that could accept the complete boiler like you must have used.
    Other then the moisture problem,did it manage to clear away the internals for the boiler better then "elbow grease"?
    I intend to try the ultrosonic cleaner as well however,I will finish it off with a half hour oven warm on low heat to remove all the moisture before reinstalling.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportssedanman View Post
    Thanks Mick, it is now fixed.

    I plugged it in with the earth lead to the boiler case disconnected. I switched it on and then tested the voltage between the earth wire and the case and it was less than one volt - so no major short circuit. I used an IR temperature probe to check the temperature of the coils as they heated up. As they heated up some steam came out of the coils, around the porcelain insulators at the top. Now it works fine (with the earth lead re-connected). Seems that heating the coils was the best way to get rid of the moisture.

    Note that I was EXTREMELY careful to not touch the boiler case when the earth lead was disconnected.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    13
    I used to have an evolution till i stepped up to an europicolla...

    And the most annoying thing was getting a pf sneeze...

    And thats how i learned about 3-way solenoids...

    But i am lucky i dont need to backflush the evolution...

    May i ask you OP, do you have any tips on installing a 3-way solenoid in the evolution?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    547

    3 way solenoid valve for gaggia evolution

    Dear Java Beanery,
    Sadly your evolution gaggia has no 3 way solenoid valve ,there is also no provision to fit one as the boiler mounting base is not equipped with suitable mounting points.
    When compared to all the other gaggia like Classic ,dose,etc which have solenoid operated 3 way valves.
    Cheers
    Mick,
    Good site worth checking for confirmation is gaggiausers in USA,very detailed references there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaBeanery View Post
    I used to have an evolution till i stepped up to an europicolla...

    And the most annoying thing was getting a pf sneeze...

    And thats how i learned about 3-way solenoids...

    But i am lucky i dont need to backflush the evolution...

    May i ask you OP, do you have any tips on installing a 3-way solenoid in the evolution?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    13
    Thanks mulquemi for the info.

    1+

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9
    I have since found a better way to dry out the heating elements - put the top part of the boiler, with everything removed in the oven at 120 Celsius for an hour.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    991
    How about don't immerse them? Bloody lucky to get away with drying it out, it doesn't always work
    Dimal likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •