Breville 800ES newbie questions
G'day folks, long time lurker, first time poster. I just picked up an 800ES on the weekend, my first machine, and paired with a secondhand Sunbeam 0440 grinder ($30 on Gumtree, gotta start somewhere right? ;)) I've been loving it so far. I've been digging through all the old 800ES threads although there were a few things that I was a bit unsure of so thought I'd just throw em out to the board to see if anyone can help out. Cheers!
1. I've noticed my machine is version B of the machine. One thing I'd noticed is that some pictures I'd seen online had a water refil access door at the top-back of the machine. I'm guessing that was a version A feature that was deleted. Does anyone know what other differences there are between the older and newer revisions?
2. Being a thermoblock machine, should I be at all worried about corrosion of the aluminium block? The 800ES isn't listed on the Breville website anymore but both the product pages for the lower model Cafe Venezia and what I assume is the 800ES's replacement the 810ES claim to have stainless steel piping through the thermoblock which I imagine would alleviate that risk. Does the 800ES have this?
3. Is it at all possible to get a good 30 second extraction out of the included dual wall basket or is that a pipe dream?
4. Similarly, is it worth getting a decent tamper before I've moved on to single wall baskets, or does tamp not matter so much with the double? On that note as well, I plan to shim the 0440 to achieve a finer grind. Is there any point in pursuing a finer grind when still using dual wall baskets? Basically I guess I"m asking, is should I wait until I get around to upgrading the baskets before I bother to get a tamper and mod the grinder?
5. Any ideas on the lifepan of this kind of machine? I don't expect it to last forever, but it feels pretty solidly built so would be nice to get a few years out of it.
Thanks to anyone who bothers to read this. Liking this little machine so far. I know I'm not making the best coffee in the world but so much nicer than what I'd normally drink at home. I know they're pretty mundane questions but I guess I've got a new obsession haha been trying to research as much about my hardware and the brew as possible!