Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By TOK
  • 3 Post By Dimal
  • 4 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By koshari

Thread: White Gaggia classic - Not responding!! Help!

Smile White Gaggia classic - Not responding!! Help!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,
    new member here.
    I've got an old Gaggia Classic, White metal body model. Well actually ive got two, but thats a story for another time!

Anyway, I'm having an issue with one. It is in quite good condition and was working, but recently it has stopped dead. ie It doesn't turn on anymore.
    No response or lights or anything going on.
    It had a replacement thermostat installed some time before this (the one on top of the boiler, for steam?) but was working for a time after that was installed.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
    Inside is generally in quite good condition, clean tubes and wiring, no leaks etc.
    What is the best way to diagnose the issue???

Any help much appreciated!!

Thanks,

worth adding, I can use parts from the other machine to swap over and see if it fixes the problem, i just dont know what to check!

if its not turning on or showing any signs of life (i.e. no lights, pump or heat) it would be worth trying to trace the route of the power from the cord to see if there are any obvious shorts, burns or disconnected wires. with no function it would seem the problem is close to the power source. This is 240V power so try doing this with the unit unplugged. I hate electrical problems, for me they are the hardest to diagnose as the electricity is invisible and often the problem is not easily recognised to the untrained eye. you might have to get a qualified electrician to help diagnose this

TOK
    Hi, sorry but qualified electricians know how to wire buildings, not fix electrical probems in espresso machines. If I had a dollar for every time one of them asked me for a wiring diagram so they could attempt to understand what gives inside an espresso machine, I could be down the club right now putting it all through the pokies .

Bottom line, electrical fault, please dont touch, danger danger, its for a gaggia or general espresso machine service agent.

Hope that helps.
    TC likes this.

It is usually the thermal fuse that is blown when you get no light, no heat, no pump action.

Quote Originally Posted by TOK View Post
    Hi, sorry but qualified electricians know how to wire buildings, not fix electrical probems in espresso machines.
    G'day TOK...

You know that phrase "oils ain't oils"... Well, the same applies to electricians and most other trades. Guys that wire buildings and houses, etc are (irreverently) called "wire jerkers" and must not be confused with with others covered by the very general term of 'electrician'...

Mal.
    TC, TOK and koshari like this.

Banned

White Gaggia classic Not responding Help

Great - I have a gig tonight and middle C-G# is not responding. They are playing at a much, much lower volume than the other keys. Did a hard reset to no avail. Please, can anyone shed some light on this or have a quick fix? Thanks

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by britt View Post
    Great - I have a gig tonight and middle C-G# is not responding. They are playing at a much, much lower volume than the other keys. Did a hard reset to no avail. Please, can anyone shed some light on this or have a quick fix? Thanks
    Sounds like you need a new group seal, and definitely a 'descale'.
    Dimal, Vinitasse, noonar and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by britt View Post
    Hmmm, with no personal experience of owning a Gaggia Classic I'm not sure where your problem lies. I do use a Wega Mini Nova and I've not had any problems with middle C-G# so far, here's hoping it keeps working well.

If you can't get hold of a Mini Nova for your performance (likely, they're not very common), try finding a Saeco Via Venezia which are much more common. Very similar to the Gaggia Classic although it's not a full size keyboard and probably won't sound as good but I've owned one in the past and all the keys have worked well, never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day TOK...

You know that phrase "oils ain't oils"... Well, the same applies to electricians and most other trades. Guys that wire buildings and houses, etc are (irreverently) called "wire jerkers" and must not be confused with with others covered by the very general term of 'electrician'...

Mal.
    must admit i found it a VERY generalistic quote. the gaggia classic is about as basic an electrical apparatus as you will find and anybody that understands a start stop station or a 2 way switch would run rings round it, these days an off the shelf toaster is more complicated with regards to the circuitry of the gaggia classic.

electrically they basically consist of couple of switches and an element and a solenoid, if you spend the day playing pokies from how many "Electricians" you know that couldn't diagnose a gaggia classic i suspect you must prend a fair bit of your time playing the 5C machines one line at a time.
    Dimal likes this.