Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JojoS

Thread: Gaggia Classic appearing to bypass the coffee (clear liquid in cup)

Question Gaggia Classic appearing to bypass the coffee (clear liquid in cup)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Gaggia Classic has been a good machine for a couple years. Replaced the pump a couple of months ago. Started foaming my milk about a month ago. Recently (past 2-3 days) when putting a new pod (yes, I use pods, keeps mess down and wife happy) then starting to brew, the flow of liquid through to the cup has been significantly lower and the liquid coming through was a clear light color instead of the lovely dark color of espresso. I have both cleaned and descaled about a month ago. I cannot figure out a path for the liquid which bypasses the coffee grounds. It is not leaking around the outside of the basket, the liquid is passing out the normal exit. Any suggestions?

Do you have a blind filter to back flush your Gaggia Classic? Common cause for slow flow is partial blockage in the 3 way Solenoid valve.

Perhaps the "Pod" isn't being properly punctured before the brew water starts to flow....

Mal.

Hi Calebho,
    I had a GC for many years (was a great machine with the Silvia wand) and clogged it several times with descaling. Left it a bit too long between descales and when I finally did descale all the crude came loose and clogged the pipes. With no previous experience I managed to take the machine apart and clean it myself. Is the water coming through normally without the group handle in place?
    Daniel

Thanks folks, good suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by danielb View Post
    Hi Calebho,
    I had a GC for many years (was a great machine with the Silvia wand) and clogged it several times with descaling. Left it a bit too long between descales and when I finally did descale all the crude came loose and clogged the pipes. With no previous experience I managed to take the machine apart and clean it myself. Is the water coming through normally without the group handle in place?
    Daniel
    Jojo,
    Yes, I will try that, thanks.
    Daniel,
    Water comes through slowly. It definitely comes through the right holes. I did leave the solution in the machine a good while before running it through. I was thinking of solution rather than breaking the scale off in small enough chunks to pump through. Guess I will pump, let it sit ca. 5 min then pump again next time.
    Caleb

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Perhaps the "Pod" isn't being properly punctured before the brew water starts to flow....

Mal.
    I believe that is the question...when you look at the ejected pod has it been punctured?

I believe the Gaggia Classic uses E.S.E. or Easy Serve Espresso pods. It is not like a Nespresso capsule that requires poking.
    Dimal likes this.

Sounds like the same problem I had. Good luck - hope it clears for you. I never had any luck clearing the blockage without disassembly - way too much muck. I was surprised at the amount of "gravel" that was in the boiler/pipes when I opened it up. It's not that difficult of a job if you need to take it apart. Make sure you mark where all the wires go and take lots of photos as you go. Daniel

Pods are coffee encased in filter material, no puncture needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JojoS View Post
    I believe the Gaggia Classic uses E.S.E. or Easy Serve Espresso pods. It is not like a Nespresso capsule that requires poking.
    Sorry I didn't clarify this earlier. That is correct, no puncture needed. The pods are permeable, water flows through the filter material and coffee then out. Caleb

Pods for gaggia

Dear calebho,
    Just Google for the full explanation of ESE pod use in Gaggia machines,I use pods as a quick coffee option occasionally.
    Just check your baskets that came with your gaggia,standard issue with gaggia machines includes a pod specific basket which looks like a single shot with a slight variation to its profile ,when used with the little plastic two way flow director (positioned below the pod basket).
    The coffee pod use is acceptable by some coffee drinkers although many will sneer at them for reasons of their own,I reckon their great too!
    I buy them from local supermarket at $10.00/25 ,little bit more then those ugly capsules.
    Hope you find this useful.
    cheers.
    Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by calebho View Post
    My Gaggia Classic has been a good machine for a couple years. Replaced the pump a couple of months ago. Started foaming my milk about a month ago. Recently (past 2-3 days) when putting a new pod (yes, I use pods, keeps mess down and wife happy) then starting to brew, the flow of liquid through to the cup has been significantly lower and the liquid coming through was a clear light color instead of the lovely dark color of espresso. I have both cleaned and descaled about a month ago. I cannot figure out a path for the liquid which bypasses the coffee grounds. It is not leaking around the outside of the basket, the liquid is passing out the normal exit. Any suggestions?