Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Breville Infuser (BES840) Owners thread

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The average force on the puck due to water flow at ~ 900 kPa is of the order of 1 kN*, hard to see how you could possibly tamp it hard enough to materially affect the flow.

IMO the main effect of tamping is to change how much coffee will fit in the basket.

* assuming a linear pressure gradient which should obtain by Darcy's Law. 1 kN is roughly 100 kgf, the unit misnamed as kg in the posts above.

Quote Originally Posted by skeevs View Post
    @prydey I reached out to Pullman and Mark responded that they don't make pullman baskets for this size. Is this something that they used to have ?
    sorry, I didn't realise the infuser didn't have a 58mm group head. my bad.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to pull a double ristretto.

I dosed 18g into the double basket, pressed on the single cup. It was finished with the extraction by itself after 20 seconds. I didn't measure but I'd imagine it was 30ml. Pressure gauge was in the broken line area, after 2nd screw.

Is this the right way ?

for a ristretto you want to be pulling around the 1:1 ratio. so 18g in, 18g out. get a pair of cheapie 0.1g ebay scales if you haven't a set already. i'm not familiar with your machine, but if there's a manual start/stop button, you should use that. otherwise, press the double shot, and then press it again to cancel the shot just before you hit the target weight.

I definitely need to get one of those cheapie 0.1g scales from ebay. So, this morning..

I did the grind 1 step finer so about 19g went into the basket. Stopped the double shot after 20s, pressure gauge was in just after the ideal zone into broken lines. The kitchen scale I used didn't register the change in weight. So I poured the ristretto/espresso and measured it was about 35ml.

Steamed the milk and poured into a 160ml flat white cup. It had a bitter aftertaste though most of the drink. From what I've been reading, ideally ristretto should be at 20ml-30ml. So I'm wondering if I stopped the extraction where it the flavor was more dominant on the bitter parts.

You could use the razor tool until you get your scales and that will put you somewhere close. You're never going to get perfection with this machine though, as they're more suited to milk drinks.

I am still trying to make a milk based drink tho, just with a double ristretto instead In the previous post, the scale was for measuring when to cut the extraction flow. I'm just after a good or right way to make (double) ristretto's out of these breville machines, so would be happy to get any feedback on the "process" I'm going through above.

Quote Originally Posted by skeevs View Post
    I am still trying to make a milk based drink tho, just with a double ristretto instead In the previous post, the scale was for measuring when to cut the extraction flow. I'm just after a good or right way to make (double) ristretto's out of these breville machines, so would be happy to get any feedback on the "process" I'm going through above.

Buy some fresh beans and stop using 'Aldi beans to practice with', or you're never going to get anywhere.
    skeevs likes this.

Hi! I just got the Breville Infuser this week, have had the Breville Smart Grinder for a couple months now. Until now, I have mainly brewed French Press and pourovers at home (occasionally my grandmother's old percolator), but espresso is very new to me to make at home. I am struggling to figure out the relation between grind size, grind amount, tamping, and extraction time (I don't want to use the pre-programmed setting). If I am using a grind setting of 20, what amount of grounds do I need in order to get the pressure gauge into the sweet spot (the last couple days when I've been grinding less it hasn't jumped up much at all )? And how much time should I really be pre-infusing for?

Thanks and I appreciate any help!
    Last edited by narwhalesnail; 19th October 2018 at 01:10 AM. Reason: clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by narwhalesnail View Post
    Hi! I just got the Breville Infuser this week, have had the Breville Smart Grinder for a couple months now. Until now, I have mainly brewed French Press and pourovers at home (occasionally my grandmother's old percolator), but espresso is very new to me to make at home. I am struggling to figure out the relation between grind size, grind amount, tamping, and extraction time (I don't want to use the pre-programmed setting). If I am using a grind setting of 20, what amount of grounds do I need in order to get the pressure gauge into the sweet spot (the last couple days when I've been grinding less it hasn't jumped up much at all )? And how much time should I really be pre-infusing for?

It's important to use fresh beans otherwise you can end up chasing your tail. Not freshly bought, but freshly roasted.
    For espresso, a rough guide is to achieve 25-30ml in about 20-30 seconds.
    A rough guide to know how much coffee to grind into your basket is to put a 5c piece on top after you have tamped it. Lock the handle in, then remove it. The 5c piece should leave a slight impression in the top of the puck.
    As for grind size, refer back to the first point about flow rate (30ml in 30sec). If you get your volume in less time, you need to grind finer. If it takes longer to get the required volume, you need to grind more coarse.

I've not used an infuser machine but the smart grinder should be up the espresso end of the scale, usually in the teens somewhere.

Tamping should be firm also. You can tamp on some scales until you get a feel for it. As with all things to do with coffee making, consistency is key. There are a few opinions on how hard to tamp but 5-15kg of force is reasonably common.

When you are dialing in your beans to get the coffee pour and taste to your liking, it's best to adjust only one variable at a time so you know what the change did.

Enjoy.

First rookie mistake anyone here will tell you about those pressure gauges on the breville machines would be not to follow the manuals prescribed ideal zone. I spent early days chasing that and its very unlikely you will get it into the ideal zone. You will however want to get it between 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. The best extractions I've had so far were usually around 2 o'clock. As long as it's not choking the machine where the espresso is just or barely dripping out.

If you have that Smart Grinder Pro, I've been using a few beans from different suppliers and the sweet spot is usually around grind settings of 16-18, with an out of the box burr setting(I never changed this).

You'll want to try hit between 20-30 secs from the moment you hit the button(sweet spot usually 25s-30s for me). Easiest to start with a 1:2 extraction ratio. I've found that best with double basket of 18g in and roughly 36g out. I programmed that on the 2 shot button.

With this grind setting, you tamp until you feel the force of the coffee pushing back if that makes sense. Doesn't have to be super heavy per se. Try to make sure the coffee is level in the basket and apply consistent force each time.

I don't know if my skills just got better, beans or machine started to break in. Coffee tasted good after a while. Fresh beans would be great too, there are some very reasonable suppliers online.

Also to add onto prydeys note, with 18g in basket you should end up with a puck that is quite dry after extraction. It breaks apart like a cookie(watch breville videos on youtube). Having said that, I have found some darker beans tasting better with a 17g dose. With this amount, the puck does end up with a slight puddle of water on top after extraction.

Hope that helps, best advise is just to take your time, learn the ropes and just practice

tldr; pick a rough grind setting, start with an initial dose(as pointed out by prydey) and get it somewhere between your extraction time window. Observe time/taste and fine tune from there one variable at a time, ie. grind finer/coarser, up/down dose slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by narwhalesnail View Post

Last edited by skeevs; 19th October 2018 at 09:32 AM.
    WarrenK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    It's important to use fresh beans otherwise you can end up chasing your tail. Not freshly bought, but freshly roasted.
    I endorse the above ten times over. I have the 870 which is the 840 but with a basic grinder built-in. Many hours were wasted until that lesson sunk in. My local roaster supplies 1kg which takes us about 3 weeks to use. Towards the end I find a finer grind and slightly more beans will keep me in the sweet spot. Ideally I would prefer to buy weekly in 250g packets.

Have fun.

I have an infuser which performs immaculately but recently has refused to run a clean cycle.
    Anybody seen this? Is there a fix?

Thanks, appreciate any help.

Hello All Infuser-users....

Does anyone have an issue with the basket sticking to the group head? When removing portafilter after pulling a shot, I often just get the portafilter, no basket.
    The basket pops out very easily out of the portafilter. Not a huge issue, I can tease it down, but give insult to injury, it sometimes jumps out together with the puck when I knock it in the bin!

Also - Incase anyone wonders about the scale of the pressure gauge, Breville technical support confirmed the scale values to me. (I have a picture, but not able to post images to this forum. I don't know why?)

The values of the notches runs 1-3-5-7-9-11-13-15, so that 5bar is the notch at the beginning of the solid grey "espresso range". 9bar is in line with the first screw, 11bar notch just before the second screw. 13bar notch marks the end of "espresso range" and the last notch is 15bar, the max pressure of the pump.

(If you reach the 15bar when pulling a shot, the pump with shut off in protest of incorrectly prepared coffee basket....;-)

Hi everybody,

What do people think about the water filter in Breville machines; particularly in Melbourne where the water is pretty good to start with? Is it an unnecessary consumable, or will the machine eventually clog up without it?

The charcoal in the filter will remove the chlorine, which is important for stainless steel boilers. Other than that you may have to descale a little more often, but using the filters won't remove the need to descale entirely so you still need to do it regularly and keep an eye on how much scale is coming out to know if you need to increase the frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by askvictor View Post
    Hi everybody,

What do people think about the water filter in Breville machines; particularly in Melbourne where the water is pretty good to start with? Is it an unnecessary consumable, or will the machine eventually clog up without it?
    I think the Breville filter cartridge lasts about 2-3 months, so the cost is less than $30/year. I live in Cairns and we have soft water with very little calcium, but I still would not skip on the filtration. Frequent back-flushing (with and withoug cleaning powder) and clean filtered water would not only prolong the life of the machine, but keep the shots taste better. I would definitely spend the money and keep the filters in.

Quote Originally Posted by LauriG View Post
    Also - Incase anyone wonders about the scale of the pressure gauge, Breville technical support confirmed the scale values to me. (I have a picture, but not able to post images to this forum. I don't know why?)
    You need at least 5 posts (?) before you can include pictures. You appear to have reached 5 posts so try again, it may allow you to add pictures now.

Here's a picture sent to me by Breville customer service. In case anyone is wondering about the pressure gauge. Heaven knows why they didn't print the numbers on the gauge. I suppose for this type of consumer product less technical information is better:

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/attachmen...5&d=1559902959

The gauge reads identical for BES870 and BES840.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    level3ninja and Dalby like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    You need at least 5 posts (?) before you can include pictures. You appear to have reached 5 posts so try again, it may allow you to add pictures now.
    Cheers CafeLotta!! I got there in the end.
    Thank You.
    CafeLotta likes this.

I've only had my Infuser for a few days. I normally turn it off at the power after making a cup but yesterday I forgot. I noticed later in the afternoon the power light was blinking. I presumed this was a kind of standby mode but couldn't find any info the manual after several reads. It took me a couple of hours on Google but I finally found confirmation on Breville USA that the blinking indicates standby and eventually the machine will go to 'sleep'.

Care and Use

Just got this machine. I'm wondering about what's best for maintenance. They provide 2 cleaning tablets. When buying new ones there seem to be at least 2 types from breville - BEC250 and BES012CLR, which one is best? (I note there are also other brands like cafetto). Also for descaling the manual recommends vinegar and water but then breville also sells eco liquid descaler. Which one should I use? Thanks.

With my 920 I use the Cafetto Espresso Clean powder and run the cleaning cycle. The vinegar and water will be fine for a thermoblock machine if you do it regularly. I recently descaled a very neglected Sunbeam EM7000 using Cafetto Restore powder initially, but after I'd used 3 sachets of that and it was showing no sign of being done I switched to vinegar. Around 30 descale cycles later I was getting no scale out so I switched to clean water flushing to get rid of the vinegar taste, 25L later it was good enough for me. Had the person I got this machine from every descaled it in the 2+ years they had it I wouldn't have had such a task. How often you should descale depends on the hardness of your water supply, I'm in Sydney and do it every 3 months. Pay attention to how much stuff comes out when you do, if it's been there a while it might be brown like it was coming out of the 7000, but coming out of my 920 it's nearly invisible just floating on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    With my 920 I use the Cafetto Espresso Clean powder and run the cleaning cycle. The vinegar and water will be fine for a thermoblock machine if you do it regularly. I recently descaled a very neglected Sunbeam EM7000 using Cafetto Restore powder initially, but after I'd used 3 sachets of that and it was showing no sign of being done I switched to vinegar. Around 30 descale cycles later I was getting no scale out so I switched to clean water flushing to get rid of the vinegar taste, 25L later it was good enough for me. Had the person I got this machine from every descaled it in the 2+ years they had it I wouldn't have had such a task. How often you should descale depends on the hardness of your water supply, I'm in Sydney and do it every 3 months. Pay attention to how much stuff comes out when you do, if it's been there a while it might be brown like it was coming out of the 7000, but coming out of my 920 it's nearly invisible just floating on the surface.
    Hi thanks for your reply. I have just run a cleaning cycle using the supplied tablets. One thing which I'm not sure about is the pressure gauge whilst running the cycle. It jumps to around max pressure when starting the cycle and the liquid comes out of the portafilter violently spraying out the sides. Watching videos on youtube this doesn't seem to happen and so i'm not sure if this is normal. As the tablet dissolves however the pressure gauge goes to about 12 o clock. It would make sense that the pressure builds up seeing as though the rubber cleaning disc + the cleaning tablet is essentially like a wall blocking water flow but i wonder if this is meant to happen. Does this happen for you too?

thanks

Something's wrong there...

Quote Originally Posted by Thegangmaster View Post
    Hi thanks for your reply. I have just run a cleaning cycle using the supplied tablets. One thing which I'm not sure about is the pressure gauge whilst running the cycle. It jumps to around max pressure when starting the cycle and the liquid comes out of the portafilter violently spraying out the sides. Watching videos on youtube this doesn't seem to happen and so i'm not sure if this is normal. As the tablet dissolves however the pressure gauge goes to about 12 o clock. It would make sense that the pressure builds up seeing as though the rubber cleaning disc + the cleaning tablet is essentially like a wall blocking water flow but i wonder if this is meant to happen. Does this happen for you too?

thanks
    I had this machine and never a problem with backflushing, following the instruction manual step-by-step.

The pressure gauge maxes out, as the rubber disk (supplied for the purpose with the machine) blocks the portafilter. No water should come out of the portafilter, if the rubber disk is doing its job. The backflush drains through the "back door" and ends up in your drip tray.

Check the rubber disk is resting in the basket properly. Check that your shower head casket is wiped clean and the portafilter locked in properly.

Anyone else?

LG
    level3ninja likes this.

Following on from the post above which I had forgotten I had read a week or so ago:

I bought an Infuser late last month and had to do the first cleaning cycle yesterday. The whole thing worked as per the manual. Towards the end of the cycle a jug under the portafilter filled to about 3 or 400mls. As well, the drip tray was also full.

I came across a discussion on Reddit last night about the rubber cleaning insert which said the insert no longer has the hole in it despite it showing the hole on the spare parts page. This applies to all the similar Breville expresso machines.

https://www.breville.com/au/en/parts...sp0001517.html

I contacted Breville AU support who confirmed this. I asked them where the water in the jug would've gone and the answer was the drip tray would mean a big overflow onto the bench. They're going to get back to me.

Does anyone have experience with the non-holed rubber insert?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalby View Post
    Following on from the post above which I had forgotten I had read a week or so ago:

I bought an Infuser late last month and had to do the first cleaning cycle yesterday. The whole thing worked as per the manual. Towards the end of the cycle a jug under the portafilter filled to about 3 or 400mls. As well, the drip tray was also full.

I came across a discussion on Reddit last night about the rubber cleaning insert which said the insert no longer has the hole in it despite it showing the hole on the spare parts page. This applies to all the similar Breville expresso machines.

https://www.breville.com/au/en/parts...sp0001517.html

I contacted Breville AU support who confirmed this. I asked them where the water in the jug would've gone and the answer was the drip tray would mean a big overflow onto the bench. They're going to get back to me.

Does anyone have experience with the non-holed rubber insert?
    My rubber disk had no hole. It's meant to block 100% like a blind basket in higher end machines.

The cleaning cycle sure filled up my drip tray. Make sure you start with empty drip tray. There are pauses in the cycle allowing for a quick intermediate emptying, but starting empty should be enough to prevent spills.

Easy to wipe the cavity behind the tray as well, just be careful not to burn your hand.

LG

Quote Originally Posted by LauriG View Post
    My rubber disk had no hole.
    LG
    Thanks for the reply, LauriG. Mine does have the hole. Perhaps when Breville calls me back I'll ask them to send me a new one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123