Thread: Breville BES820 makes no steam

Question Breville BES820 makes no steam

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I'm new here. Have tried the search and read the 'Breville BES820 issues' thread. Although it is also the steam function I think that my problem might be a different one. Would be great to get some help from more experienced members!

I bought a used BES820 for $20 from gumtree. The owner said that the steam doesn't always work.
    I took it appart and here is what I could find:

The case of machine has lots of corrosion in the lower half. the wires look fine (pulled appart and put them together again. Seem to have good contact). The area around the chip seems like it hasn't got wet.

The steam works right after turning the machine on. The swich always does the 'click' and the lights change.
    However, if the machine has been on for a while it still clicks etc but there is no steam (the pump won't start).

I also reset the program function. If I pour a shot (single or double) water starts running through for approx. 3sec then there is a break in that you can hear the 'ts-ts-ts' of the pump (?) and then water runs for another 4secs. with the normal pump noise. Is this normal? the manual pouring works.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with it?

I am not an electrician (though I'd say, I can repair it if it's not too much to do)...
    I am not planning on rebuilding it or spending much money on it either...

I just thought that if it is a small part or some cleaning in the right place I'd give it a go...

Thank you,

Paul

I'll reply here rather than on my old thread.

The intermittent pumping sounds upon starting the shot is normal, it's the preinfusion function. The manual function does not use preinfusion.

Steam problem sounds like a dodgy control board, probably heat related. You could remove the board and see if there is any noticeable damage or cold solder joints. Aside from that it would be time for a new board. You could try replacing components but that isn't a job for you if you don't have experience.

Corrosion on the lower half is most likely due to the steam baffle leaking water/steam out into the chassis rather than fully into the drip tray. This baffle is located behind the grey plastic panel on the right hand body panel. You should be able to see if it has been leaking.
    You can epoxy the leaks or buy a new baffle.

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll check it out tomorrow!

Ok, I checked the board and found a corroded conductive path. I soldered in a wire bridge and checked the resistance, found and fixed the leak and put it back together.

The good news: It still works, I didn't break it!

The bad news: After paying better attention this time I now know that it is not heat related:
    If I steam right after turning the machine on (whether cold or hot from previous use) there is first a fair bit of water coming out of the nozzle and then steam.

If the machine has been on for a minute (I pour the espresso first) and I want to steam, I still hear the click and the lights change but the pump won't start............. (not even after a long time of waiting)

Any Ideas?

paul1993,
    I have the same machine with similar problems,just used an old PCB board for parts,replaced (swopped over) the breville resistor (big one,on the end) and the two electrolytic capacitors.
    All fixed and runs like a new one,steams and hot water just perfectly.
    Keep me posted if there are other problems found.
    Cheers,
    mick.

Hi mulquemi,

Did you buy an old board for the same machine and swapped over the mentioned parts?
    Or did I get that wrong?

paul1993,
    Check google for an American site regarding these machines (BES 820) and good info there,particular attention to Australian 240 variations.
    The board itself actually come from a sunbeam 5820 ,components were the recommended rating too.
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul1993 View Post
    Hi mulquemi,

Did you buy an old board for the same machine and swapped over the mentioned parts?
    Or did I get that wrong?

Alright...

Another question: how hot does the machine (the case outside) normally get? feels like above 50 degrees...??

Quote Originally Posted by paul1993 View Post
    Alright...

Another question: how hot does the machine (the case outside) normally get? feels like above 50 degrees...??
    I never measured the actual temperature but before my BES820 went bang and was replaced it used to get really hot (the case)... Hot enough to make me wonder if it was supposed to get that hot... It got way hotter than my current machine (BES840 Breville Infuser)