Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lordrunec

Thread: New Machine Choice

New Machine Choice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all! I'm new (duhh).

I am a uni student (well, half of a couple really) and I like coffee, as does my addict bf.

We currently have a $49 Nescafe Dolce Gusto which I HATE. It's broken cos I dropped it when moving houses and I hate the fact that these seem to be the most expensive pods and it does not work with anything else, at all.

So now that I went through a Costco supply of coffee pods, I am getting a new machine.
    I have $100 and nothing else will convince me to pay a cent more cos this is already a loooooot of money for a struggling uni student.

I am open to either espresso of capsule machines, or anything really. I need my coffee not burnt, the ability to make weak ones for me and nuclear-strength ones for the bf, and we are milk coffee drinkers (caps, mostly....And yes, I drink soy, lactose intolerance is a b**ch).

Oh and it has to make a lot of coffee, we have these keep cups that are the size of a smoothie cup...a lot of coffee cos yknow, uni.

My current options are:
    An ALDI Expressi pod machine - because I hear it runs Woolies Select pods too.

A Sunbeam Piccolo espresso machine - because its a "real" machine by comparison to pods.

Or this bargain thing off Catch of the Day called a Sheffield Espresso 4 cup (also only $50).

I am SOOPER new at coffee and really on a budget so aside from a cheapy machine I'm looking for a set-up that will not be costly to maintain ie no more $13 pod boxes for me.

Through my mother, I am a fan of ground coffee from Campos or some other cafes in Alexandria (Sydney). Bf is a fan of strong things so he got a grinder and stovetop system for Xmas (since we already had a pod machine). He liked the pods though, but we can obviously do better. So if beans work out cheaper than ground, hey I'm open to suggestions.

I also cannot afford super fancy anything and in the morning haze before 9 hours of uni/work, neither of us cares too much for the finer aspects of coffee. Guess we're not snobby enough

Also one more question - to buy in store, online or from the outlets of Melbourne where we may be travelling soon? Which is the cheapest?

Thank you in advance and remember - I need help on a very firm $100 budget!

Oh and I forgot to add - kitchen space is minuscule so something smallish would be ideal.

If you're not wedded to espresso I'd consider an aeropress. Cheap, small, clean, makes good coffee. You will need a kettle and to heat the milk though.

Yep, go the aeropress. Put a hand grinder on the list for christmas. The best thing you can do is use quality beans, ground fresh

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    have you consider second hand machines? An entry level sunbeam combo may fit into your budget, just make sure that when you buy the machine, ask the owner to make a cup to see theres no pressure or leaking issue. Hope that helps =)
    kopigeek likes this.

I second the 2nd hand machine. Or go for the aeropress or a pourover unit with a hand grinder. Grind quality beans. You can't go wrong.

If you don't go for the aeropress think about a stove top. Eg from one of the sponsors
    Bialetti Moka Express
    Stove Top Coffee Makers
    Can often pick one up in an op shop.

My daughter recently confessed to buying a cheap pod machine. Says it not as good as what I make but better than instant.

Welcome " bluey14"...

My recommendation also, would be to grab an AeroPress (~$50) and scout around for a reasonable hand-grinder or a good condition used Sunbeam or Breville Burr grinder. Using freshly roasted high quality coffee (NOT supermarket coffee), only ground immediately prior to making a brew. You will, in a very short time, be able to make some superb coffee with such a combo and never, ever head back to Capsules or Pods again...

Mal.