Thread: Steaming on the Gaggia Classic

Steaming on the Gaggia Classic

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Iím still trying to get the hang of using the Gaggia.
    There is so much more to keep an eye on than the old Sunbeam.

My shots are slowly getting better due to me adjusting the grind.

Itís still coming out a bit too quick and the grinder was set up for a Gaggia.
    I guess each Classic made is different.

The big thing that is making me pull my hair out is the steam I have tried waiting for the light to pop up and I have tried it just before the light pops up.

I purge the wand out before using so it is pissing put steam before using but it seems to run out real fast and starts putting in water. :( (The standard wand is on the classic)

With the steam knob how far do you normally turn it?
    I have just been turning it a bit then seaming away.

Do you have to keep adjusting it while steaming or should I wait longer to it to heat up?

Sorry about the 101 questions.

Re: Steaming on the Gaggia Classic

Oh I had a laugh figured it out.

Went through the manual again reading everything this time and silly me had all the switched to on which is the hot water switch. I had a laugh so I was stretching the milk with the hot water function. No wonder it had a bad taste.

Sorry about posting still learning how to use it 100%.
    I think Iím at 99% now :)

That was exactly what I was going to ask!

Whilst the Classic is not known for being able to steam lots of milk, it is great for up to four cups worth, and excellent for two. Once you do the wand mod, I replaced mine with a Saeco I got from the local service centre for free (The outside sleave was cracked, which is perfect because you dont need it anyway), you will get micro-foam every time, with a little practice, that is!

Yeah it takes a while to sort out the Gaggia - get confident with it.... but remember dont pull your hair out for consistency. Youll only ever achieve 80%~ max repeatibility with it. The steam wand mod helps tonnes! Get one without the plastic thing (turbo steamer!)

Quote Originally Posted by gaggiaboy link=1179618225/0#3 date=1179656090
    remember dont pull your hair out for consistency. Youll only ever achieve 80%~ max repeatibility with it.
    Depends on how anal you get with dose and tamp. Its very critical to get these right but no more so than the Sylvia.

If you want to cheak your technique, use the single basket with a naked PF. Use this a few (dozen) times and your consistency will be far better.

Quote Originally Posted by gaggiaboy link=1179618225/0#3 date=1179656090
    Youll only ever achieve 80%~ max repeatibility with it.
    I dont know about that, I will have to disagree. I very rarely have issues and usually it is my fault if I get a bad extraction.

With the Classic it just takes prctice and getting the tamp and dose right.

I have just gotten a pullman Tamper and it has made a world of difference. I am still getting used to using it but I have had a huge improvement already.

The best advice I can give you is the following

ē remove the plastic froth enhancing dooflicky. It just gives horrible big bubbles.

ē purge the excess water in the steam wand before you pull your shot.

ē Give the boiler a minute after pouring a shot, to really heat up before steaming

ē If you are home all day, leave the machine on. This keeps it at a good temperature and you will get better results.

Quote Originally Posted by lucinda link=1179618225/0#5 date=1181282244
    ē If you are home all day, leave the machine on. This keeps it at a good temperature and you will get better results.
    OK, this one I really have to disagree with, especially a it ignores one of the great strengths of the Gaggia design.

In back to back tests Ive done, there is no shot difference at all between a Gaggia that has been left on the a long period (4 hours in my test) vs one that has been steam cheated from room temp. I did the test to see just how fast a domestic Gaggia could be fully warmed up and it took 5 minutes 30 seconds (time taken for 2 steam shots through the PF from dead cold).

The tiny boiler and high power, external heating elements allow you to leave the machine off without needing to wait long for a spur of the moment coffee. In fact the non-solenoid Gaggias will boil dry if left on and used for long periods due to the stupid anti-drip valve those have.

Again, I dont think there is any need to wait after the boiler has reached the nominal steam temp (light has come on in steam mode). The boiler will heat beyond the heat loss caused by steaming so once the wand is purged - full agreement on this - then steam away.