Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By mmmcoffee
  • 3 Post By magnafunk
  • 1 Post By mmmcoffee
  • 3 Post By TC

Thread: Pod machine pods

Pod machine pods

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I hope this question doesn't get me excommunicated from Coffeesnobs. But we have changed our living arrangements for a few months but our family moving in with another family (5 kids, 4 adults and 1 house
    As such we don't have any space for my coffee equipment and with all the little kids around the place I didn't want to risk it.
    Our friends have a Nespresso pod machine to provide us with something that resembles coffee and sort of tastes like something coffee related.

In some kind of hope to improve (if possible) the coffee wondering if anyone could recommend the best pods for a Nespresso. Lots of coffee companies now are making poss for them. But need some recommendations. I live in the Redlands just out of Brisbane

Thanks and please don't hate me I had a laugh
    rawill likes this.

I don't know much about the Nespresso machines but when I was looking around for manual machines I noticed Oomph here in Hobart are offering two of their roasts (Java Jo and Santorini) In pod form suitable for some Nespresso machines. Their roasts are quite nice and i can vouch for their quality and depth of flavour. I would start with their award winning Java Jo $35 for a box of 60. Not sure what they charge for shipping drop them a line mon-fri 830 to 430 on 03 6244 3079or check out the website Oomphcoffee.com.au
    And before you ask I don't work for them but they are lovely people and a great local business.
    Matt

Aeropress?

Di bella are doing a Nespresso compatible capsule

Grinders also have Nespresso compatible capsules. (I'll get some for my wife in the next week or so and let you know what she thinks.)

Hey Richard we currently use the Grinders ones here, they aren't great, lacking any depth of flavour and strength. Heard good things about the DiBella in the city this week and pick some up then

Not compatible, but I found aldi pods to be cheaper and better than the nespresso range. No use if you have a machine already, sadly

You could try to fill pods. There are kits avaliable, but I doubt that the "machine" really cares about proper heat and pressure regulation. The only fancy feature of those machine is the volumetric dosing.

Might be worth trying. Otherwise when all else fails Mokka Pot That is how I survived in some places in Europe during a holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
    Hey Richard we currently use the Grinders ones here, they aren't great, lacking any depth of flavour and strength. Heard good things about the DiBella in the city this week and pick some up then
    Grinders have been labelled awful and thrown to the back of the cupboard.

keep smiling and laughing - sonds like your going to need it.
    Try filling your own OR
    try the Viccy Pt shops ( one with the Big B hardware)
    theres a new onsite cafe / roastry there (wont mention name - none sponsor)
    I beileve they do pods as well

FWIW I dont get it - why do people want to pass boiling water over plastic / aluminium

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    FWIW I dont get it - why do people want to pass boiling water over plastic / aluminium
    In an attempt to get something better than instant, when they can not have an espresso machine.

I'm in the same position with coffee machine at work, have just bought pods from a local (terrific) coffee shop - Galleria in Southport - they use "Killer coffee-really strong coffee" which is delicious in store. Will be trying out the pods next week when work reopens & will let you know. You can buy online also. Good luck!

Junior Member NurturedByTheBean's Avatar
    IME, the Robert Timms coffee bags 3min steep are better than any pod I've tried (which is most styles of caffitaly, delonghi and aldi compatible pods). Plus they're not as wasteful as pods and faster/easier cleanup. Not the shot you're after, but better than a pod.

Rbn
    After having tried the Capoodcino pod machine a few times, and the associated milk "frother" all I can say is it is better than instant.
    But it will never get anywhere near a "proper" espresso machine, even a low end one.

I have refilled my own pod, only once, I tamped it too hard, and blocked the machine.
    I will try again, and I think that will produce better coffee than bought pods.

But it so fiddly, why bother.

It will be good enough for the holiday home, but will not become my regular cup.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. The Nespresso has been labelled rubbish, but the good news is over the last 6 months we using a mokapot and freshly ground beans via hand grinder. We have enjoyed the coffee and used the Nespresso milk frothier, makes a good combo. And the upside is with 2 families (4 adults & 5 kids) in 1 house, with good coffee no one has killed each other!
    Dimal likes this.

TC
    well done mmm,

Not only are their pods rubbish, they're hugely overpriced rubbish.

I have little doubt that your brew of choice is vastly superior.
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and Gavisconi007 like this.

Great choices mmmcoffee!

Congratulations on taking control and chosing GREAT coffee over the ever popular coffee CAPSULES...