Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By noidle22

Thread: HELP - Breville 800es BACKFLUSH process/procedure

Question HELP - Breville 800es BACKFLUSH process/procedure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys, I have purchased a Breville 800es a month a go and the more I read about espresso machine is the more I a eager to learn more.

Now since my machine is a month old now, I wanna do same cleaning of it to maintain its performance. The thing is the Breville manual booklet does not mention about "BACKFLUSH" only DESCALE

I want to seek advise to all of you guys if its advisable to do a BACKFLUSH procedure to BREVILLE 800ES

Thanks in advance!!!

I don't know this machine personally but I'm pretty sure it can't be backflushed.
    lixegel likes this.

Smile

aaww really? I also had a feeling.. so maybe a regular group head cleaning will do for this machine..

thanks a lot mate!

Nope, no backflushing required on this machine.

Purchase some Cafetto Espresso Clean from site sponsor Coffee Parts, it is a specially formulated cleaner that breaks down and removes coffee oils: Cafetto espresso clean, 500 grams - Cafetto | Coffee Parts

Remove the shower screen every month or two and soak it along with the portafilter and basket in a hot water solution with this cleaner. It will break down the coffee oils on each part and leave them nice and clean.

It would also be a good idea to remove the small philips head screw on the underside of the portafilter and remove the plastic insert for cleaning. This will get a build up of coffee oils and residue under it as well.

I have attached some examples of these parts when dirty to give you an idea of how bad it can get.
    The picture of the group head is from a Sunbeam EM6910 which does require backflushing. This one had not had it done for at least 4 years.

20150518_092249.jpg20140415_134740.jpg20140421_123408.jpg20140422_091849.jpg20140602_154048.jpg
    lixegel likes this.

ohh that is scaryyy looking pic. Im pretty sure I don't want my beloved machine to be look like that (even it is just entry level..hehehe cuz my baby 800es giving me decent shots every time..)

now only problem is have to search on how to remove the shower screen and the plastic insert (im scared to break th machine.. *frown*)

btw, I already have purchased Cafetto S15 so I will use it for the steps you mentioned above.

Good thing I waited for you guys to reply before I do the backflushing pphewww..

thanks a lot!!!

Those pics were from years of abuse, I can't imagine what the coffee would have tasted like, and the stale oily smell it would have had.

The cleaning powder is more effective and much cheaper than tablets, when you run out of the S15 tablets I'd suggest buying the powder.

Remove the philips head screw that secures the screen in place, it should move easily but some need more force. Get a good grip on it with a no. 2 philips bit.
    Once the screen is out the seal can be taken out easily. Ensure the group head is clean and the seal surface is clean before you reassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Nope, no backflushing required on this machine.

Purchase some Cafetto Espresso Clean from site sponsor Coffee Parts, it is a specially formulated cleaner that breaks down and removes coffee oils: Cafetto espresso clean, 500 grams - Cafetto | Coffee Parts

Remove the shower screen every month or two and soak it along with the portafilter and basket in a hot water solution with this cleaner. It will break down the coffee oils on each part and leave them nice and clean.

It would also be a good idea to remove the small philips head screw on the underside of the portafilter and remove the plastic insert for cleaning. This will get a build up of coffee oils and residue under it as well.

I have attached some examples of these parts when dirty to give you an idea of how bad it can get.
    The picture of the group head is from a Sunbeam EM6910 which does require backflushing. This one had not had it done for at least 4 years.

20150518_092249.jpg20140415_134740.jpg20140421_123408.jpg20140422_091849.jpg20140602_154048.jpg
    OMG. People are effing dumb.

Those pics were from years of abuse, I can't imagine what the coffee would have tasted like, and the stale oily smell it would have had.

The cleaning powder is more effective and much cheaper than tablets, when you run out of the S15 tablets I'd suggest buying the powder.

Remove the philips head screw that secures the screen in place, it should move easily but some need more force. Get a good grip on it with a no. 2 philips bit.
    Once the screen is out the seal can be taken out easily. Ensure the group head is clean and the seal surface is clean before you reassemble.

Thanks a lot for all the info... I will never allow my 800es to be the same as the pic u posted.

Hi, The 800 series Breville uses a pressurised basket. that is double skinned. after a short use, the area between the inner and outer skin will become full of deposits and need cleaning. I find a teaspoon of cleaning solution in the basket, given a couple of minutes to soak and then flushed, as if making a shot, will do a great job of keeping the basket clean. you will be surprised what can come out of a basket which looks spotless. be sure to double flush after the cleaner. Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobelis View Post
    Hi, The 800 series Breville uses a pressurised basket. that is double skinned. after a short use, the area between the inner and outer skin will become full of deposits and need cleaning. I find a teaspoon of cleaning solution in the basket, given a couple of minutes to soak and then flushed, as if making a shot, will do a great job of keeping the basket clean. you will be surprised what can come out of a basket which looks spotless. be sure to double flush after the cleaner. Bob.
    Thank bobelis!!I actually using single floor basket for my 800es. For me to clean my portafilter and basket every end of the use, I normally flush it with one shot no coffee grounds on the basket, with the machine pressure any remaining grounds or liquid inside the plastic insert will be flushed out.

And ofcourse I will perform soon the cleaning process of noidle22

PLEASE do this - I just spent four hours last night doing this for a friend because he was given an 800ES where the last owner didnt know anything about taking care of machines.
    It was heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    OMG. People are effing dumb.
    Or maybe they just don't know everything yet