Thread: Saeco Via Venezia - won't draw water or steam through wand

Saeco Via Venezia - won't draw water or steam through wand

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi CSs,
    I've looked all around the interwebs and can't find the answer, I hope someone can help!
    I've just bought a 2nd hand Saeco VV, which has been hardly used but sat in storage for a while.

When I try to prime it, water comes out of the group head instead of the steam wand. I've removed and checked both the steam wand and the steam valve, both are clear and look brand new.
    The pump is working, it's making all the right noises and I can pull a shot of coffee.

What could be wrong?

Thanks in advance
    Jen

Have you tried loading up the machine with descaler, turn on to steam setting, and leave for about a day.
    This happened to me in a Sunbeam, and this did the trick, water dripped out at first go after the day had passed, then switched to water setting and turned steam on, slowly but surely water started flowing out of the steam wand

JenBNE,
    Welcome along the bumpy coffee trail to heaven,your machine may just have a steam/water wand blockage!
    If you can ,try to unscrew the steam/water wand and check if it is clear (some coffee machines have a cleaning pin....somewhere on or in the machine).
    Cleaning the machine using a suitable descaling mixture ,allowing it act (some hours) and see how things go.(check you-tube,plenty to choose from)
    Make sure your machine is not left alone while still energised (switched on).....could burn down your place,that wouldn't be good!(never trust electrical appliances-they can and do fail sometimes).
    Best of luck,hopefully it's just something minor.
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by haywooj View Post
    Have you tried loading up the machine with descaler, turn on to steam setting, and leave for about a day.
    This happened to me in a Sunbeam, and this did the trick, water dripped out at first go after the day had passed, then switched to water setting and turned steam on, slowly but surely water started flowing out of the steam wand
    No I haven't haywooj, I guess I could give it a go.
    I suspect though, that it will draw the descaling liquid up and though the group head, as it does with water. So I wouldn't be able to leave it on for very long, it would run dry very quickly.
    I will start descaling now, and give an update later

Thanks Mick :-)
    I expect you're right, but not sure where the blockage is. I've had the steam wand off, I can see through it, it's super clean.
    Next thing across is the valve, that's all good too. Next thing after that is a T-shaped connector thingy, going from boiler to steamer and down to group head. I'm wondering if something's wrong here.
    I will descale first. This bit looked tricky to disassemble, especially without a coffee :-)

JenBNE,
    I'm interested in how you're progressing with your Saeco,I had a look at you tube guides and it clearly shows a spring and ball valve behind the shower screen (under the nut).
    I would just remove that and confirm all is well under the seating surface ,where the silicone ball seals.
    Have you delved in there as yet?
    The fact your machine was unused (storage) may suggest the sealing has seized up and will need clearing/cleaning (elbow grease).Worth a look at least !
    Keen to know how this progresses !
    A thorough cleaning can't harm things though,as well.
    cheers,
    Mick.

It's also possible the steam knob isn't actually turning the internal shaft. If you take the cover off, you'll see that there is a grub screw which you can use to adjust where the rotation starts and stops. If this has loosened it could cause difficulty switching to steam. There was an old thread here on Via Venezia leaking steam wand that has the details.

TBH I've put it in the garage for now! I bought it on a whim (it was $50 on Gumtree) thinking it would be good as a back-up/for parts for my existing Saeco VV

Thanks Mulquemi and kbilleter for the suggestions. I will get the silly season over and give these both a go.
    Mulquemi, I think I've seen the same YouTube vid, the makers of the vid sell little maintenance packs?
    Kbilleter, I've followed that thread in the past with my existing machine! All seemed okay in this section when I opened up the new machine.

Well bugger me if it isn't working now!
    I re-visited this machine after dumping it in the garage for a few months.
    Turned it on, no water was pumping through at all. So I forced-primed it by using a giant syringe to force water up the pipe. This worked! I'd tried this months ago to no avail, I guess an air bubble finally moved or something?
    I'm ready to pimp this machine now, does anyone have suggestions?