Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoffy
  • 1 Post By Stoffy
  • 1 Post By jonocugnet

Thread: How to get a non-pressurised portafilter for the Saeco Via Venezia in Australia?

How to get a non-pressurised portafilter for the Saeco Via Venezia in Australia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have recently bought a Saeco Via Venezia and just found out that it comes with a pressurised portafilter. I definetely DO NOT want this portafilter and would like to buy a new one. I have seen the Non-Pressurized Portafilter Upgrade for Saeco and Starbucks Espresso Machines from Seattle Coffee Gear but I cannot figure out how to get it in Australia. Any ideas?

It's not pretty but it works:

Step 1: Remove 3 screws from the underside.

Step 2: Remove all plastic parts that are now visible. A big spring holds most of it together, you won't be reusing it so it doesn't matter if it breaks.

Step 3: Reattach handle with the 3 screws to the now enpty portafilter. You lose the spring return to centre function but that's no big deal.

I made a custom Via Venezia group handle once, there's a thread on here somewhere about it. Long time ago now.

If you want to buy a new one from the USA, I usually use a company called priceUSA to buy my items on my behalf from the USA.

Google it, they have a partner in Australia and one in Oregon, do you also don't have to pay USA sales tax.

The mod that noidle mentioned works well and there's instructions on You Tube as well if you're keen to give it a go. I looked into this and from memory they were pretty expensive to buy And I thought someone in Australia had them too. Coffee Parts maybe? It's worth a look. Either way the mod is a cheaper option.
    I also found out that this type of pressurised portafilter isn't quite as bad as other pressurised systems like dual wall baskets and crema enhancers. All it is is a spring loaded valve that should be set to 9bar. So if you get your dose and tamp right then it's going to open no problem every time.

A quick Google turned up four main sellers in the US, all selling a non-pressurised Saeco PF for around $60. They all ship internationally so it's just a matter of working out which one has the cheapest shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by jonocugnet View Post
    I have recently bought a Saeco Via Venezia and just found out that it comes with a pressurised portafilter. I definetely DO NOT want this portafilter and would like to buy a new one. I have seen the Non-Pressurized Portafilter Upgrade for Saeco and Starbucks Espresso Machines from Seattle Coffee Gear but I cannot figure out how to get it in Australia. Any ideas?
    Hi, I purchased the Seattle coffee gear portafilter around mid last year by way of setting up an international postal address through Australia Post. All done online through Aus Post website, first I think the address is in Oregon so then I purchased the item from SCG address details sent through to there then sent from Oregon to me here in Australia. By the time it arrived here it had probably taken a good couple of weeks and I was out of pocket by almost $100. The portafilter is superb though and compliments the Via Venezia beautifully.
    jonocugnet likes this.

Crikey, just realised who you are, doh! Have you sorted it out yet??
    jonocugnet likes this.

Not just yet, will by the end of the week hopefully. Good to see you mate
    Stoffy likes this.