Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By MrJack
  • 1 Post By kbilleter
  • 1 Post By Alexpid
  • 1 Post By Alexpid
  • 1 Post By MrJack

Thread: Which is the Best Machine Under 500 bucks for now?

Which is the Best Machine Under 500 bucks for now?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This is now 2016, and I am interested to know the best machine under 500 bucks for home use...

Quote Originally Posted by friedcoffee View Post
    This is now 2016, and I am interested to know the best machine under 500 bucks for home use...

Bacchi would be my recommendation

A second hand one.
    Dimal, gonzo89 and MrFreddofrog like this.

Yep. You can get a good second hand machine, that could keep you happy for years.
    But don't forget the grinder.

2nd hand Gaggia classic & lido are items that I use together. The GC is great & could easily be found for about $200 2nd hand . Lidos don't seem to come up 2nd hand. But they are a buy once kind of thing. Never to be replaced...

I got my Saeco Via Venezia for $280 new. With Breville Smart Grinder 820 on sale for $200 just comes in. Not the most consistent with such a small boiler but it's been a great little workhorse.
    Stoffy likes this.

What about Breville Infuser, it seems a good buy under $500

Quote Originally Posted by friedcoffee View Post
    What about Breville Infuser, it seems a good buy under $500
    What grinder will you be using with it?

NS Oscar second hand. Great hx machine!
    gonzo89 likes this.

I'll second that, used NS oscars can easily be found for under $500..condition varies but there isn't a part you can't buy and they are quite easy to work on. I only say it's the best because you won't find many other (if any in decent condition) hx machines for that price...In the small single boiler category, I'd go for a used Lelit.

And if you install OPV and vacuum breaker you'll be a happy guy for a long time!
    gonzo89 likes this.

The lack of anti-vac valve and OPV on the Oscars is a bit of a shame really as they do look like good little machines. I'd say an anti-vac valve isn't absolutely necessary as long as you carefully follow NS's instructions during heat up and probably better not to leave it on for extended periods of time. An OPV is almost a must, do they not have them factory fitted?

The oscars are also quite small for a HX and look different by being plastic/coloured if you like that look.

Where are you located?

Cheers

I think the new Oscar 2 have standard opv fitted but a lot of people do it on the old Oscar's. It really improves performance a lot. Is the Oscar small? 1,8 liter boiler is almost as big as my izzo Alex and Oscar's came in first and third place at the Danish home batista competition this year! Also the plastic is easier to clean than stainless steel :-)

Which is the Best Machine Under 500 bucks for now?

Also interesting they don't have an anti vac valve, pretty basic /cheap to include?

They are quite small physically.

Can't beat the bling though, not that hard to keep clean.

Cheers
    Last edited by artman; 28th March 2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Very cheap to buy and install it yourself. It's hardly an issue. Silly on their part sure but for the money it's a decent investment. As for boiler, it is 2 litres. Crazy steam on them too. A little too crazy for someone without much practice. As for keeping clean, irrelevant really. I love cleaning my r58. A very satisfying feeling looking at a well polished machine.

Oscar is good but buying a second hand is not possible for everyone. I would still prefer Breville Infuser as the brand is giving the commercial link removed per Site Posting Policy with good functions and accessories. The tamper is magnetic that stucks to the machine after use. They are also providing coffee scoops, cleaning tablets, and a good PID controller. Is there is anyone who has used this machine?
    Last edited by Javaphile; 29th March 2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Commericial link(s) removed

Gaggia classic still up there for the price? I am now in the market for a cheaper machine so would be curious to see the outcome of this thread (if there is one!)

kbc
    Hi guys. Gaggia classic all the way near this price point. Avoid thermoblocks if you can. Most of them are made of Aluminum and Al is linked to Alzheimers..... Honestly, that's why I moved away from my first machine (sunbeam) after just a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Hi guys. Gaggia classic all the way near this price point. Avoid thermoblocks if you can. Most of them are made of Aluminum and Al is linked to Alzheimers..... Honestly, that's why I moved away from my first machine (sunbeam) after just a few months.
    What do you think a Gaggia Classic boiler is made from?
    magnafunk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Most of them are made of Aluminum and Al is linked to Alzheimers.....
    Despite the widespread presence of aluminium, there are no consistent reports which correlate aluminium exp osure with Alzheimer’s disease and the majority of elderly people do not get Alzheimer’s disease.Therefore, the risk from aluminium, if any, must be small.

https://fightdementia.org.au/sites/d...um_english.pdf

kbc
    Thanks for the info guys. I read about the link about 12 yeas ago when I had my Sunbeam. Looks like more research has put the link to bed. Great news !!!