Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By sprezzatura
  • 1 Post By gonzo89
  • 2 Post By stephen28
  • 1 Post By sprezzatura
  • 1 Post By stephen28
  • 1 Post By simonko

Thread: Are some machines easier to service at home than others?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15

    Question Are some machines easier to service at home than others?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Thinking of buying a 2nd hand machine (Silvia? Gaggia Classic?).

    There are a few listed here and there at the moment in various states of disrepair, and I'm thinking - bravely and without any experience - that it might be worth picking one up and giving it an overhaul myself. I half expect that any machine I buy second hand will benefit from a little tlc (new seals and a good cleanup at least).

    Just thought I should ask if there are any particular machines I should be wary of or more comfortable with - or any particular headache 'problems' I should be trying to avoid when I'm looking at 2nd hand machines. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,320
    The popular single boiler Italian machines are all fairly simple inside. The good thing is that the more popular ones have a tonne of info online about modifying and servicing them. So if you can find a Saeco Via Venezia, Gaggia Classic, Rancilio Silvia or something similar for cheap then it's worth considering. Even though I've done a bit of tinkering with the odd Breville and Sunbeam, I'd avoid the appliance brands for your first foray into this sort of thing as they are usually not quite as straight forward internally.
    MokaLoca likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Toogoom, QLD
    Posts
    931

    Are some machines easier to service at home than others?

    Quote Originally Posted by MokaLoca View Post
    Thinking of buying a 2nd hand machine (Silvia? Gaggia Classic?).

    There are a few listed here and there at the moment in various states of disrepair, and I'm thinking - bravely and without any experience - that it might be worth picking one up and giving it an overhaul myself. I half expect that any machine I buy second hand will benefit from a little tlc (new seals and a good cleanup at least).

    Just thought I should ask if there are any particular machines I should be wary of or more comfortable with - or any particular headache 'problems' I should be trying to avoid when I'm looking at 2nd hand machines. Thoughts?
    Simple is better. The Classic and Silvia are relatively easy to work on. There's a considerable amount of support on CS for either of those (as many of us have had one or both).
    deegee and MokaLoca like this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    296
    If you can pickup a cheap used NS oscar they are also easy to work on (and more worthwhile than a small single boiler) and there is not a part you can't find should you need it :-)
    MokaLoca likes this.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    Simple is better. The Classic and Silvia are relatively easy to work on. There's a considerable amount of support on CS for either of those (as many of us have had one or both).
    Yeah that's what's leading me towards either of those at the moment. Definitely like the idea that I can fix it myself. As much as those Breville machines look like they make a great cup of coffee, I haven't seen a lot of evidence for anyone doing their own maintenance on them...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo89 View Post
    If you can pickup a cheap used NS oscar they are also easy to work on (and more worthwhile than a small single boiler) and there is not a part you can't find should you need it :-)
    There's one going here for a good price :

    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-har...m2m-sale.html#

    and you won't have to work on it for quite a while. Life's a lot easier with a HX machine rather than a single boiler.
    Dimal and gonzo89 like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Toogoom, QLD
    Posts
    931
    No arguments about that. HX is my fav.
    gonzo89 likes this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15
    Does look nice, but that's a long way out of my budget. Really considering repairs because most of the machines I can afford (justify?) are likely to need a bit of attention.

    Very happy to do some maintenance / repairs if it saves me money and I get a machine that's built to last. Strongly leaning towards a Silvia I think...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by MokaLoca View Post
    Does look nice, but that's a long way out of my budget. Really considering repairs because most of the machines I can afford (justify?) are likely to need a bit of attention.

    Very happy to do some maintenance / repairs if it saves me money and I get a machine that's built to last. Strongly leaning towards a Silvia I think...
    No worries. Good luck with your search. I have owned both a Silvia and a Gaggia. They are both great machines and good resellers. Second hand Silvias seem to start at about $400 and Gaggia at about $250. Don't forget to factor in a grinder!
    MokaLoca likes this.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15
    Ta

    Been watching eBay for a while, those prices seem pretty spot on.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    150
    Might be worth putting a WTB ad in coffee hardware for sale section with your aims and price point.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    280
    Also look around for an old Bezzera BZ99 - not sure if they're still sold new but they were a few years ago for around the $2000 mark. Because they've been going for 30 years with hardly any changes, you can find older one's real cheap. I've bought two over the years for $300 each (one dead heater element, other case had started to rust) and they are rock solid. Good parts availability, cheap.
    MokaLoca likes this.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by simonko View Post
    Also look around for an old Bezzera BZ99 - not sure if they're still sold new but they were a few years ago for around the $2000 mark. Because they've been going for 30 years with hardly any changes, you can find older one's real cheap. I've bought two over the years for $300 each (one dead heater element, other case had started to rust) and they are rock solid. Good parts availability, cheap.
    Definitely will now, thanks. That looks incredible...

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen28 View Post
    Might be worth putting a WTB ad in coffee hardware for sale section with your aims and price point.
    Yeah I'd love to - apparently your account needs to be two weeks old before you do that though, so will have to lurk for a bit first.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •