Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By jmadden91
  • 1 Post By Yelta

Thread: Breville 800ES - Power Switch

Breville 800ES - Power Switch

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a Breville 800ES (hand me down) that I'm pretty happy with (brewing coffe)

I have noticed that if I leave the machine of for a while (turn it on, make two coffees and then leave it on in case I want another) that the power switch gets funky; hard to turn off. Sometimes I just have to turn it off at the power point.

That said the other switches, Hot Water & Steam, are somewhat reluctant to work as well.

I'm fairly handy - is there a guide to fixing this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Welcome mate...

Unless you're a licensed electrician mate, I'd leave well alone. It's illegal otherwise and you may create more problems than you solve... Just sayin'

Mal.

I personally wouldn't do this work either. However, have always wondered where the line is between legal and illegal for equipment repairs. For example in this situation what is it that you anticipate would be illegal about the repair if the repairer isnt an electrician?

The tact switches get worn out after a while and need to be replaced. This isn't a job that involves handling 240V components, it's small signal stuff. Very little risk involved however observe the standard safety precautions, machine off and unplugged, machine cool. Being cool isn't really safety related it's just that your hands will be near the thermoblock and it can burn you pretty bad.

Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for any damage or problems arising from the procedure outlined below.

Remove the four torx screws in the back cover and two philips head screws under the back cover.
    Remove the two philips head screws up under the front of the machine. They are recessed in some deep holes. They should come out along with a plastic tube.
    Give the top cover a sharp tap or push from the back to release it from the latches on the side panels. Remove the earth lead from the top cover.

Remove the two screws holding the front panel onto the central chassis. Pry off the control knob from behind with a flat head screwdriver, this can be easy or difficult, just be patient with it.

Remove the four screws, two either side, holding the side panels to the central chassis. Be careful now as the central chassis is free and can drop down causing stress on wiring and pipes.

You should be able to gently free the front panel away from the machine by wiggling it up and away from the machine. I usually reinstall two screws to hold the side panels in place to stop the chassis falling as previously mentioned.

You will see the two white switch boxes either side of the front panel, remove the screws holding the white cover onto them. These can be fragile and shatter as they are exposed to heat from the thermoblock.

The switch PCB should now come away. Desolder the tact switch and take it to your local electronics store, remember you need 3 of them. I suggest buying a few more in case you damage one during the repair.

Solder the new switches in, reassemble and test. Remember to reattach the earth lead to the top cover.

You should be good to go.

Thx noidle22 for your deatiled explaination.

Sounds like a weekend job - not an after work one.

I'll give it a go on the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    what is it that you anticipate would be illegal about the repair if the repairer isnt an electrician?
    Working on the internal electrical components of any (mains powered) appliance or equipment is illegal without the appropriate qualifications and licenses in most, if not all, states of Australia.

Mal.

Thanks Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Working on the internal electrical components of any (mains powered) appliance or equipment is illegal without the appropriate qualifications and licenses in most, if not all, states of Australia.

Mal.
    Evening Mal, I often read regulations such as this, put in place by our nanny state bureaucrats, and am reminded of the words of Herbert Spencer,

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

Bit harsh? perhaps, but we are constantly bombarded by new, well meaning, but misguided, legislation to protect us from our own stupidity.

I know, I'm well past my use by date.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Evening Mal, I often read regulations such as this
    You are of course, entitled to your view Yelta but in the case of the legislation in QLD, this was put into place after many tragic endings to DIY electrical work in appliances and other machinery.

I don't have any problems with it at all...

Mal.
    Yelta and jmadden91 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    I agree with this in some regards, but not electrical work. Too many people have died because of people performing electrical work without understanding the risks.
    Its usually not the person who did the work either, its the unsuspecting electrician who has to fix it when it inevitably plays up
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    You are of course, entitled to your view Yelta but in the case of the legislation in QLD, this was put into place after many tragic endings to DIY electrical work in appliances and other machinery.

I don't have any problems with it at all...

Mal.
    Your right of course Mal, what I was attempting to underscore is the stupidity of people without the requisite skills playing with hazardous stuff and the govt feeling they have to legislate to protect them from themselves.

We all know these clowns are going to continue tinkering regardless of, or in spite of, legislation.

This humorous video emphasises the stupidity of playing with stuff you don't understand.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudD0KblVfM
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmadden91 View Post
    I agree with this in some regards, but not electrical work. Too many people have died because of people performing electrical work without understanding the risks.
    Its usually not the person who did the work either, its the unsuspecting electrician who has to fix it when it inevitably plays up
    Tragically true and quite often a member of the family or a subsequent owner of the hardware/house...

Mal.