Thread: Is it OK to keep a Carezza lying down?

Is it OK to keep a Carezza lying down?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    In case youre wondering why I want to turn the carezza on its side lying down, its because Ive been taking the Carezza to work on Monday mornings and leaving it in the office and only taking it back home Friday arvos so I can make coffee on the weekend. My office has just moved and integrated with another office so theres a few more people in the office than before. Now, its not the office people Im concerned with. Because the office is now bigger, theres also a permanent security guard. When I made my latte today, apart from the normal curious onlookers, the guard was especially interested and seeing as his job wasnt exactly the most interesting (ie. sitting around all day reading the paper back to front), he took a special interest in the machine which got me paranoid. So I decided to keep the Carezza in my desk bottom drawer but being quite a tall machine, it will not fit unless its on its side lying down. This is no fridge so it should be ok (methinks) but I thought Id ask anyway...

Re: Is it OK to keep a Carezza lying down?

why not just leave it on the bench and take the portafilter?

Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes link=1182151302/0#1 date=1182153020
    why not just leave it on the bench and take the portafilter?
    Now thats what I call sensible lateral thinking!!! ;)

I did that in the previous office, kept the PF and everything else in the drawer with the machine on the desk but there wasnt any persons around after hours with nothing to do for 12 hours. There are no coffee grounds either except instant coffee and I didnt want to chance him firing up the machine anyway to play around with the steamer.
    My thoughts were to keep it out of sight so his curiosity wont get the better of him in those wee hours of the morning with absolutely nothing to do.

The pump is only supported by a couple of small plastic tabs on a plastic subframe in the Carezza so its best to either leave it upright or else add a small rubber support inside between the rear of the body and the pump.

Mine has actually broken one of the tab mounts due to a lot of transporting early in its life so I have a rubber support block helping to locate the pump properly.

Another dumb question coming up... what does the pump look like? Pics will definitely help...

This is an Ulka vibe pump.

If you remove the 2 screws from under the filler flap + the screw holding the steam knob on, then the top will lift off and you will see the pump (as pictured above) towards the back of the machine. Just push a piece of softish rubber between the pump and the body to act as the support if lying it down - too hard a support will transmit excessive pump vibrations to the body.

WARNING: make sure the machine is totally unpowered (preferably unplugged) from mains before doing this as the wiring at the back of the switches is at mains voltage.

Thats ok... Im not lying it down anymore. I disguise it and cover it with stuff so its not immediately noticeable.
    Plus I keep the PF under lock and key anyway.