Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: Boema Single Group Boiler Cap removal

Boema Single Group Boiler Cap removal

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All, picked up a Boema 1 Group Volumetric machine and have started a refurb on it as a project for home use. Machine is in good condition and fully operational.
    The boiler has a fair bit of scale in it so I have filled it with water from the hose and shaken the hell out of it to clear out as much scale as possible through the valve fittings but I want to remove the capping plate to get inside an do a thorough clean. Tried to undo one of the nuts but it snapped off easily and from what I can see, locktite (brown powdery substance between the bolt and nut), has been applied which explains the nut shearing off. Is this the only way to get the nuts off or do I need to use a ratchet gun? The guys at Boema suggested I use a ratchet gun to remove the element which I understand so the same might be needed for the 7 nuts and bolts.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by 3hundredspartans View Post
    Hi All, picked up a Boema 1 Group Volumetric machine and have started a refurb on it as a project for home use. Machine is in good condition and fully operational.
    The boiler has a fair bit of scale in it so I have filled it with water from the hose and shaken the hell out of it to clear out as much scale as possible through the valve fittings but I want to remove the capping plate to get inside an do a thorough clean. Tried to undo one of the nuts but it snapped off easily and from what I can see, locktite (brown powdery substance between the bolt and nut), has been applied which explains the nut shearing off. Is this the only way to get the nuts off or do I need to use a ratchet gun? The guys at Boema suggested I use a ratchet gun to remove the element which I understand so the same might be needed for the 7 nuts and bolts.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Frank.
    I've just done exactly that on my Boema. I managed to do it with a socket wrench and ring spanner and only broke two bolts in the process.
    I'd say go for it, if the bolts break they're probably due to be replaced anyway. All mine are rusted so I wanted to replace them anyway.

Thanks LeroyC. I might just do that then. I assume that once the nut has broken it is just a matter of punching out the bolt? Is the bolt threaded?

Quote Originally Posted by 3hundredspartans View Post
    Thanks LeroyC. I might just do that then. I assume that once the nut has broken it is just a matter of punching out the bolt? Is the bolt threaded?
    I won't make assumptions that your machine is the same as mine so I'd do some checking first somehow if I was you. However on my machine the holes aren't threaded so once the nut was off (whether it broke off or screwed off) the bolt just tapped or pulled out.

Got stuck into it tonight and out of the eight bolts and nuts, four of them snapped at the nut and the remainder came off normally but I had to use a sledge and centre punch to get the snapped bolts out so they weren't threaded but rusted pretty bad. Definitely not stainless bolts. What have you used to clean the inside of the boiler and to clean the element? I have seen people using vinegar to clean the element and then hit it with a brush wheel on a bench grinder.

This is definitely one of the better ones to use, especially on a commercial size Boiler...
    Clean Machine activated descaler | Talk Coffee

Mal.
    LeroyC likes this.

Yeah I'd try a proper coffee machine descaling product first, like the one Mal has mentioned.

Not sure if this will do as I have some left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No mate...

That looks like Back-flushing detergent to me...

Mal.

Thanks Mal, I'll give it a try.

I have ended up buying this product to try and it has done a reasonable job cleaning the boiler. I had a look at the active ingredient in both an activated descaler and this product, Scalex, and they are the same. Sulphamic Acid is the key ingredient.
    Got it from Bunnings and it is half the price of a branded Activated Descaler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting stuff mate...

Have never seen this one before but it appears to be safe to use in potable water situations (after plenty of flushing with water), and that's the main thing after it does its assigned task...

Mal.
    Last edited by Dimal; 19th October 2016 at 11:09 PM.