Thread: Boiler modification for Gaggia Carezza?

Boiler modification for Gaggia Carezza?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Surprise, surprise, the Carezza run out of steam again when I was steaming milk for 2 after I made 2 single shots (forgot to bring my double basket! duh!). Thats despite me doing the run hot water through the wand thing to make sure the boilers full... It started the screeching thing just before I hit the 60 degree mark.... A couple more seconds and I would have been happy otherwise...
    I was wondering if its possible (and worthwhile) to modify the boiler to a slightly larger one...

Re: Boiler modification for Gaggia Carezza?

What do you mean by the screeching thing?

The Gaggias wont run out of steam - the small boiler + high heating power means that the boiler can cycle with the steam valve wide open. The downside is that maximum steam pressure is rather low and the steam power will fluctuate a bit as the boiler heat cycles. It is actually the small horizontal cross section rather than the outright boiler size that limits the steam pressure but this also limits the maximum heat loss rate hence the ability to cycle.

Are you steaming with the bare arm, the plastic stump or the full panarello arm? The 2nd option is by far the best but you will need to raise the milk further up (to about the 0-ring level) as the milk froths up else the steam will start hitting the froth which will cause excessive bubbling and maybe the screeching you are talling about.

Modding the boiler size is pretty much out of the question.

Im frothing with the bare arm only and gotten quite used to it and when frothing for 1 latte, I get decent microfoam everytime.

I figured as much about boiler mods...

As for the screeching thing, it happens late in the steaming process when the wand is deep in the milk to bring it up to temp whilst swirling it around. It then runs out of steam and starts with a growl but when I persist in steaming the milk it changes to a higher pitch screech. I wont get that when steaming for 1, only get that when trying to do more milk for 2 lattes or more.

OK, without the stump, it is possible that the steam flow is fast enough for the boiler to depressurise faster than the elements can reheat it.

Id try adding the stump back on as it helps get slightly better microfoam + it adds a useful amount to the arm length. It will slow the steam down a touch though.

By stump, do you mean the paranello arm? The plastics froth aider bit? I thought that it was recommended to chuck that out along with the crema disk?

The froth aider has the upper 4 parts (inner gasket, outer o-ring, plastic upper and plastic lower) that form a short stump + 2 lower parts (outer sleeve, inner sleeve) that form a long attahcment which can be pulled off the stump for cleaning.

Im saying reattach the upper stump but leave off the lower sleeve attachment. Its the lower part that introduces loads of air into the milk so it needs to be chucked. The upper part actually helps. You can also remove the o-ring as it is only there to hold the long attachment on.