Thread: Boema Single Group Boiler Pressure

Boema Single Group Boiler Pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Managed to complete a refurb of my Boema and want to clarify what the boiler pressure should be sitting at. I got the machine back together and allowed it to heat up and without adjusting it myself, the pressure gauge was at 20 psi. That's how it was before I got it.

From reading another post, that is way too high, so I adjusted it down to sit at around 13 psi which is around .9 bar. In doing that I think it is too low as my shots are a little light in colour even though the beans are freshly ground out of a new Mazzer grinder and packed well.

We have an old Brasilia 2 group Portofino at work which continues to poor pretty good shots with the same coffee.

I will adjust the pressure in higher increments and test but would anyone know what the optimum pressure would be to start with? I realise there are quite a few variables such as accuracy of the gauge itself, humidity etc but wondering if I should get myself a portafilter with a gauge?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by 3hundredspartans View Post
    Hi All,

Managed to complete a refurb of my Boema and want to clarify what the boiler pressure should be sitting at. I got the machine back together and allowed it to heat up and without adjusting it myself, the pressure gauge was at 20 psi. That's how it was before I got it.

From reading another post, that is way too high, so I adjusted it down to sit at around 13 psi which is around .9 bar. In doing that I think it is too low as my shots are a little light in colour even though the beans are freshly ground out of a new Mazzer grinder and packed well.

We have an old Brasilia 2 group Portofino at work which continues to poor pretty good shots with the same coffee.

I will adjust the pressure in higher increments and test but would anyone know what the optimum pressure would be to start with? I realise there are quite a few variables such as accuracy of the gauge itself, humidity etc but wondering if I should get myself a portafilter with a gauge?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, Frank.
    Are you just getting the reading from the gauge on the machine? That's fine to a certain extent, but not always the most accurate. Also don't confuse boiler pressure and pump pressure. Boiler pressure is generally best set between 1.1-1.5bar depending on the machine. Pump pressure, ideally taken at the group head should be around 9-9.5bar.

Thanks LeroyC,

I'm just reading from the gauge on the machine but I can see where you say not to confuse the two. Might just invest in a portafilter gauge to make sure.

Cheers, Frank