Thread: Gaggia classic portafilter options

Gaggia classic portafilter options

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Howdy folks, managed to pick up my first home espresso machine in a Gaggia Classic yesterday, pretty happy with the couple of shots so far.

The machine came with only a naked portafilter, have been directed to look at coffeeparts for a double portafilter (i want to be able to make 2x small espresso at once - the basket supplied with the machine is a double), however wondering if i can get someone to swap the naked for a double spout with me as i don't need the naked.

Will any 58mm portafilter fit, or are they made specific to machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Howdy folks, managed to pick up my first home espresso machine in a Gaggia Classic yesterday, pretty happy with the couple of shots so far.

The machine came with only a naked portafilter, have been directed to look at coffeeparts for a double portafilter (i want to be able to make 2x small espresso at once - the basket supplied with the machine is a double), however wondering if i can get someone to swap the naked for a double spout with me as i don't need the naked.

Will any 58mm portafilter fit, or are they made specific to machines?
    Most 58mm portafilters have the lugs at the 9 and 3 positions (if that makes sense, assuming the handle is at 12 or 6). But the Gaggia ones are at about 1 and 7ish. So you pretty much need Gaggia ones, although they can be commercial Gaggia ones as well, not just the ones made for their domestic machines. There's a few other brands that'll fit - Boema, La Carimali I think, but I'm not sure. Lug position is your limiting factor.

Thanks Leroy. Might try for a WTT listing, otherwise cheaper option might be to get a single basket and just run 2 single shots.

It is easier to get a good extraction using a double basket than a single basket with a Gaggia Classic. Just use a beaker made for espresso and split your shot. Hang on to that naked portafilter, it is a good tool to hone your coffee prep technique.

Lose a bit of the crema to the sides of the cup i'm using when i split the shot, would like a double spout portafilter for convenience, happy to keep the naked but don't see myself using it much.
    No huge rush, i'll just keen an eye out in case one pops up.. there are a couple on ebay for around the $40-50 mark which isn't too expensive.

Noted about single basket being more difficult to get good extraction thanks.

If you can get a commercial portafilter I find the handle much sturdier than the stock one for the classic. In saying that, I may have a classic portafilter at home, I'll pm you later on

thanks mate