Thread: How to fine tune my grind for my em6910

How to fine tune my grind for my em6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive got a problem of fine tuning my grind. Ive bought the em6910 today. But i dont know how to start using it~~I mean i dont know how fine or course should i grind for my bean. At the moment ive got a Delongho KG100 grinder. (I know it is not a gd grinder, but i havent got the money to buy a new grinder at the moment). So can anyone teach me how can fine tune my grind for my em6910

THX~~~~

A_M

Re: How to fine tune my grind for my em6910

Quote Originally Posted by sugilun link=1183825839/0#0 date=1183825839
    Ive got a problem of fine tuning my grind. Ive bought the em6910 today. But i dont know how to start using it~~I mean i dont know how fine or course should i grind for my bean. At the moment ive got a Delongho KG100 grinder. (I know it is not a gd grinder, but i havent got the money to buy a new grinder at the moment). So can anyone teach me how can fine tune my grind for my em6910

THX~~~~
    I had a KG100 (still do) and after a modification and set at the lowest (FINE) setting it was not suitable for the 6910 if using the standard Filter basket. If you use the the pressurised Filter basket (one with only a single hole) then you can back off a few notches or it will choke.

I can suggest that a EM0480 grinder is the way forward if you are tight on the $$$ If you can sell the KG100 ( Ideal for plunger and other cheep coffee units) for a few dollars the difference you have to make up will be worth every cent.

100% agree with that assessment AM...

I am a little confused with this as I have the same setup (6910 & KG100) and find my grind setting, unmoddified is on 2 or 3.

This give me about a 30sec/30ml shot with a strong tamp....

Am I the only one with this experience or does this further higlight the inconsistencies with this grinder

oompa,

Hi and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

Are you using the pressurised baskets (the ones with one small hole if you look at the bottom of the basket from underneath)... the normal baskets have lots of small holes

If using the pressurised, that would explain it. Those baskets are designed for coarsely ground, stale supermarket coffee.... and you wont get a good espresso flavour from them - even if using fresh beans.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1183825839/0#4 date=1186048226
    oompa,

Hi and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

Are you using the pressurised baskets (the ones with one small hole if you look at the bottom of the basket from underneath)... the normal baskets have lots of small holes

If using the pressurised, that would explain it. Those baskets are designed for coarsely ground, stale supermarket coffee.... and you wont get a good espresso flavour from them - even if using fresh beans.
    Thanks for the welcome.

I am definately using the standard baskets (dont even know where i have put the pressurised baskets). While my grinder isnt new (approximately 12 months) maybe they have changed something in the design.

Each time I have used it the beans have been quite fresh, mostly home roasted

I suspect then you have the 1 in a thousand good one!!

Like all mass produced devices there is quite a range of tolerance on all the bits... the tolerance on the bits in yours are probably all in the right direction....

I own one myself, and have "played with" a couple of others - and believe me none of them could do even an acceptable grind for espresso.... even after I tweaked mine to grind finer.....

There was a lot of wobble on the centre burr of all of them.... You could check yours by trying to move the burr sideways..... those Ive tried (including mine) move at least 0.5mm or more (and that is about the desired grind size.....) giving very varied grind particle size.....

I just pulled mine apart (removed the outer burr) and the centre one doesnt have an lateral movement (maybe a slight flex)..... Just guess i lucked out here

is 30 sec shot for 30ml with the 6910 gauge going halfway into the brown/black area a good indication the grind is in fact correct?

sugilan,
    I too bought the KG100 grinder with my setup. Breville 800ES (now with modified baskets). After reading here and using the modified baskets, i decided the grinder had to go. I was also hesitant about the $$ rockys and such cost. Because the grinder was under warranty i took it back (to the good guys, which were great) and simply told them i would like to change it because it would not do what it was supposed to do, that is grind finely and evenly enough for espresso. Upgraded to the EM0480 for only $40. Worth a try.
    Cheers
    James