Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 64 of 64
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Discussion on Flair Espresso

  1. #51
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    11
    I bought the easy clean portafilter a few weeks ago - on the mistaken understanding that it was a bottomless portafilter!

    I've prised off the bottom a few times to look for build up - but can't see any. It might be that I will see some down the track - or that some about to be ready new glasses will change that. But for now, my usual post brew clean up process seems enough - nothing more than rinse with warm water from tap or with washing up liquid in the sink with the dishes.

  2. #52
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,979
    Has anyone invested in a stainless piston, if so, does it make a difference? noticed it has two O rings, wondered if it would keep the piston a little more central, mine seems to start somewhat off centre, seems OK by shot completion.

  3. #53
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    11
    I have one.

    Still starts a little like leaning Tower of Pisa. But it quickly straightens up... much like the plastic one.

    I'm not sure if it offers much extra benefit. I was thinking it might help with maintaining temperature but I saw a post on another forum suggesting otherwise. And I can't tell the difference myself.

    Apparently some buy it because they're worried about toxins leaching from the plastic. I can see that argument going down well here in northern New South Wales where many of the locals don't vaccinate their kids and there's no fluoride in the water. But it wasn't on my radar when I made my impulsive purchase.
    Yelta likes this.

  4. #54
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Has anyone invested in a stainless piston, if so, does it make a difference? noticed it has two O rings, wondered if it would keep the piston a little more central, mine seems to start somewhat off centre, seems OK by shot completion.
    It's a non-issue to be honest...
    It's due to the ever changing position of the Roller relative to the support post, as the handle is pulled down. Given that this is only noticeable at the beginning of the stroke, I ignore it.

    Mal.
    Yelta likes this.

  5. #55
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,979
    Guess that pretty well took care of those two queries, thank you gentlemen.
    Dimal likes this.

  6. #56
    Junior Member EZCFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Has anyone invested in a stainless piston, if so, does it make a difference? noticed it has two O rings, wondered if it would keep the piston a little more central, mine seems to start somewhat off centre, seems OK by shot completion.
    I recently purchased a Flair Signature with two brew heads with easy clean portafilters. Also have the stainless and the plastic piston so use both if making two coffees. I have ordered another stainless piston mainly because I think it may outlast the plastic piston but time will tell.

    As to whether the stainless piston with the two rubber rings tilts less........I think it does slightly, however the plastic one still works well. I insert both pistons slightly into the top of the brew heads and invert them to fill with hot water (to heat the brew cylinder). This works fairly well and heats the base of the stainless piston at the same time.

    It took a week or so of experimentation to get the grind right and a few awful drinks down the sink however fairly happy with the results now. It seems to be an improvement at this early stage over the espresso machine that we had.

    Was hoping to insert an an image of yesterday’s shot but having trouble uploading from the iPad.
    Last edited by EZCFlair; 4 Days Ago at 03:51 PM. Reason: typos

  7. #57
    Junior Member EZCFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    9
    Am after some advice from any members please.........

    As a new owner of the Flair, I occasionally get a decent crema but mostly not much.

    The best I have achieved is about a third of the shot (maybe 15 mls out of 45) and would be extremely happy if I could do that every time, but unfortunately that only happened once. More often than not, about a fifth of the shot or less. Sometimes a thin layer which dissipates quickly.

    I mostly use 16 grams of beans (fresh from a Melbourne roaster). 17 grams seems to be the upper limit. My current batch was roasted on October 25 although I started using them on the 29th when we received them, I think. No problem with the grind quality as it is a good one.

    The brew head is always very hot and the water I top up the cylinder with is just off the boil.

    I go easy on the tamp pressure because if I don’t, it chokes and nothing comes through.

    Think I covered everything there, so all and any advice appreciated.


    PS. Should I be happy with the results so far and not overthink it?

  8. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4
    This is the crema I get using "sweet Georgia brown" beans from gridlock coffee. Is this comparable to yours?
    EZCFlair likes this.

  9. #59
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by EZCFlair View Post
    Am after some advice from any members please.........

    As a new owner of the Flair, I occasionally get a decent crema but mostly not much.

    The best I have achieved is about a third of the shot (maybe 15 mls out of 45) and would be extremely happy if I could do that every time, but unfortunately that only happened once. More often than not, about a fifth of the shot or less. Sometimes a thin layer which dissipates quickly.

    I mostly use 16 grams of beans (fresh from a Melbourne roaster). 17 grams seems to be the upper limit. My current batch was roasted on October 25 although I started using them on the 29th when we received them, I think. No problem with the grind quality as it is a good one.

    The brew head is always very hot and the water I top up the cylinder with is just off the boil.

    I go easy on the tamp pressure because if I don’t, it chokes and nothing comes through.

    Think I covered everything there, so all and any advice appreciated.


    PS. Should I be happy with the results so far and not overthink it?


    Firstly, I'd worry about the taste of the coffee.

    How much crema were you expecting? When you say that you get a third of a cup....at what point in time are you 'measuring' that? Immediately upon pulling the shot?

    The fact that you are able to choke the machine after tamping hard suggests that you might be either grinding a little too fine or over-dosing.

    Also I don't think you need the brew water to be 'just off the boil'. You'll lose enough temperature by the time your water gets to the grinds.
    Dimal, level3ninja and EZCFlair like this.

  10. #60
    Junior Member EZCFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by andlep View Post
    This is the crema I get using "sweet Georgia brown" beans from gridlock coffee. Is this comparable to yours?
    Actually, yes it is most of the time Andlep. It is probably a lot better than what is served in some “coffee shops” so have decided to be happy with what I’m getting.

    I think I should be concentrating on taste more than anything.

    Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by EZCFlair; 3 Days Ago at 08:33 AM.
    andlep and Dimal like this.

  11. #61
    Junior Member EZCFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Firstly, I'd worry about the taste of the coffee.

    How much crema were you expecting? When you say that you get a third of a cup....at what point in time are you 'measuring' that? Immediately upon pulling the shot?

    The fact that you are able to choke the machine after tamping hard suggests that you might be either grinding a little too fine or over-dosing.

    Also I don't think you need the brew water to be 'just off the boil'. You'll lose enough temperature by the time your water gets to the grinds.
    Thanks for your reply B O’S.

    Yep, it was roughly a third immed. after pulling the shot. It wasn’t measured just approx looking at the clear shot glass I was using. It was a one off and prob settled to half of that.

    Mostly it looks like Andleps photo above. On a few occasions nothing much at all. As you say, taste is the decider.

    I think the problem sometimes is that promotional videos for the Flair on YouTube (or any tv advertising that has an unrealistic outcome - toothpaste for example) embellish the end result.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DqMe1SCs6So

    Your advice is much appreciated.
    Last edited by EZCFlair; 3 Days Ago at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added YouTube link

  12. #62
    Junior Member EZCFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    9
    384C1213-F5F9-40F4-8442-A953AF8691A5.jpeg

    Success.

    Photo as discussed previously. Hopefully, clicking on it enlarges the image.
    Dimal likes this.

  13. #63
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    14,897
    Quote Originally Posted by EZCFlair View Post
    Photo as discussed previously. Hopefully, clicking on it enlarges the image.
    It does.


    Java "Clicked it bigger" phile
    EZCFlair likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  14. #64
    Junior Member EZCFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    9
    Last photo. I have taken enough forum space with this subject.

    Thanks to those who offered valuable advice. It was a big help.

    This one was made not long ago, but is gone now.

    83032A4E-9508-4954-A771-720C002CEBCD.jpeg
    andlep and Dimal like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •