Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Discussion on Flair Espresso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Still very happy with the Flair. Not saying I would never go back to a “proper” machine, but in no hurry because it ticks all the boxes. I enjoy not having to deal with water filtration and fresh and chemical back flushing etc. We have a Brita fridge filter so still use filtered water.

Also when we go away on holidays it is compact.

Wondering what security at the airport will think when it goes through the X-ray machine though..........

We drink milk based coffee so use one of these in the photo. I have a thermometer and check that I get about 60 to 65 degrees C. Microwave the milk (on ours 1:30) and check the temperature. We have two because my wife bought one to bring to work but didn’t use it there. Good to have a spare in case one breaks.

They were about $27 from David Jones and the brand is Bodum.

F1C23279-F43D-4FA8-B6CD-A2C5CC94B237.jpg
    Dimal likes this.

It will be interesting to see what people think of the Signature Pro when it is available here.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EZCFlair View Post
    Still very happy with the Flair. Not saying I would never go back to a “proper” machine, but in no hurry because it ticks all the boxes. I enjoy not having to deal with water filtration and fresh and chemical back flushing etc. We have a Brita fridge filter so still use filtered water.

Also when we go away on holidays it is compact.

Wondering what security at the airport will think when it goes through the X-ray machine though..........

F1C23279-F43D-4FA8-B6CD-A2C5CC94B237.jpg
    Absolutely no problem taking the Flair in checked luggage (I have it with me in Ireland). You might run into a problem if you try bringing in your carry-on though.
    Kjarsheim and EZCFlair like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EZCFlair View Post
    It will be interesting to see what people think of the Signature Pro when it is available here.
    As part of the process of learning to use my new Flair, I've examined the official Flair videos (and plenty of others). There's a two minute one using the Signature (posted earlier in this thread) and a five minute plus one on the Pro.

Looking at these, and using my own Signature as a guide, the Pro is more than just a a Signature with a gauge:

. The gauge and piston combo you can buy for the regular and Signature models as a retro fit seems to be quite different to the one that comes with the Pro. The piston is narrower.
    . The boiler equivalent (the part where the hot water goes) of the Pro is therefore quite different, to fit the piston, with different filling instructions.
    . There's a warming cap, so that you don't have to use the piston to plug the "boiler" to pre-warm it.
    . The shower / dispersion screen is different, in that there's no rubber or plastic surround to hold it in place.
    . The brew head is different, because it has a ledge to position the new screen on, and you just press on one side of the screen to raise the other side and remove it.

Of these changes, the shower / dispersion screen is the one that appeals the most. That soft surround in the original screen must be a potential point of failure.

If you want a gauge the Pro will be a no-brainer, despite its cost. If not then it's a tougher proposition. Some of the changes are desirable, but are they worth the extra?
    Dimal and EZCFlair like this.

Oh lordy yes, I made the tactical error of taking the Flair and Aergrind thru as carryon.....thought I was up for a "personal" search or something until they read the instruction brochurre in the carry case. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by gunda View Post

. The gauge and piston combo you can buy for the regular and Signature models as a retro fit seems to be quite different to the one that comes with the Pro. The piston is narrower.
    . The boiler equivalent (the part where the hot water goes) of the Pro is therefore quite different, to fit the piston, with different filling instructions.
    . There's a warming cap, so that you don't have to use the piston to plug the "boiler" to pre-warm it.
    . The shower / dispersion screen is different, in that there's no rubber or plastic surround to hold it in place.
    . The brew head is different, because it has a ledge to position the new screen on, and you just press on one side of the screen to raise the other side and remove it.

Of these changes, the shower / dispersion screen is the one that appeals the most. That soft surround in the original screen must be a potential point of failure.

If you want a gauge the Pro will be a no-brainer, despite its cost. If not then it's a tougher proposition. Some of the changes are desirable, but are they worth the extra?
    Thanks for your thoughts Gunda. . It is interesting to hear other’s experiences.

I’m happy with my Signature Flair although the Pro has a couple of things that would attract me to it.

The current dispersion screen with the silicone surround may be a weak point over time with the Standard/Signature although I’ve had no trouble with mine. The new style Pro screen looks like an improvement.

I find that my brew cylinder and portafilter ranges from hard, to nearly impossible, to separate for cleaning after extraction. Once it has cooled it is ok. I get around this by using food grade CRC silicone gel on the oring which works well.

The Signature portafilter holds about 16 to 17 grams max. whereas the new one on the Pro holds about 22g I think. It would be interesting to see what difference this makes.

I don’t feel the need for a gauge to know when I am applying the correct pressure to the lever. Some people may like the benefit of knowing, but I would rather judge by sight and feel. Release or add pressure when it feels and looks “right”.

It is tempting to buy a Pro directly from the US as I don’t feel that it would be a particular disadvantage (warranty etc) unless the Flair distributor in Australia is easily contactable by phone. Some distributors here are online only, which I think is a pain.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123