Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By LeroyC

Thread: Wanting to remove plastic insert from Sunbeam EM4300 Mini Barista group handle

CJ

Wanting to remove plastic insert from Sunbeam EM4300 Mini Barista group handle

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Just bought a Sunbeam Mini Barista on sale to tide me over while I mull over what to get next (which will be my last machine). Using the single wall basket left over from my last Sunbeam 6910 (last of three ...). I want to remove the plastic insert from the group handle, but obviously this model is a single piece without the removable bottom. Any ideas? Thanks, CJ.

I presume it is a metal p/f with a plastic insert (I only know 69x0s / 7x00's)? They remove easily with a set of needle nose pliers from underneath, after you remove the spouts. Hope this helps.

CJ
    Thanks TampIt, but the entire PF is one piece with the spouts built-in.

I only have 3 other thoughts.

1) Try to find another SB p/f that fits and is in multiple pieces. Easy if a 6910 / 7000 series fits it - the 7000 is solid stainless, no plastic.
    2) Carefully cut out the plastic (stanley knife / equivalent) from above. Try not to scratch the underlying metal.
    3) Get a correctly sized holesaw and convert it to a naked p/f.

Have fun... not that it is.

Tear it out.
    It has 2 molded protuberances holding it in. Some force will remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Hi all,

Just bought a Sunbeam Mini Barista on sale to tide me over while I mull over what to get next (which will be my last machine). Using the single wall basket left over from my last Sunbeam 6910 (last of three ...). I want to remove the plastic insert from the group handle, but obviously this model is a single piece without the removable bottom. Any ideas? Thanks, CJ.
    It just unscrews from underneath. However you'll end up with a screw hole left also. It didn't look right and so I put mine back. It's literally held by that tiny screw on bottle of PF

CJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePerth View Post
    It just unscrews from underneath. However you'll end up with a screw hole left also. It didn't look right and so I put mine back. It's literally held by that tiny screw on bottle of PF
    Thanks all. I will give it a go.

I checked with Sunbeam and they said the plastic insert should not be removed even when using a single wall basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I checked with Sunbeam and they said the plastic insert should not be removed even when using a single wall basket.
    Did they explain why? I think youíll find itís just because it opens up a hole in the middle where the screw that holds it in place is. Iíve overcome this problem on multiple Sunbeam and Breville portafilters by plugging the hole with a small cap screw and nut. I say do whatever it takes to get rid of the plastic insert.
    level3ninja and fraz like this.

I removed the plastic insert from my EM5900 after several years use, and the mould under there was terrifying. And I did clean it, but it's inaccessible without a screw driver. YUCK.

Can someone here get a job at Sunbeam or Breville and help them with their designs?