Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By demonflesh

Thread: Repairing EM6910 collar

Repairing EM6910 collar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi again,

Since buying several second hand EM6910 machines off gum tree for next to nothing it was frustrating that the only part i couldn't fix by myself was the collar.

I took a collar to a Welding trainer at a Tafe and asked him if it could be welded. He explained to me that it was a very porous cast aluminum alloy and the only thing he could think of trying to tig weld it to keep the heat to a minimal area.
    The results were underwhelming and he said the material was of such poor quality it just kept collapsing from under the pool.

Instead i used JBweld to build up the worn section of the collar and then shaped it with a dremel. I drilled the section slightly to help the JBweld hold. It looks a bit messy but i haven't finished this collar.

The last thing i did was design a tamper which has a lip on it, this allows me to put the correct volume of coffee in every time and also helps me tamp level, it is also a better fit than the original tamper so i dont get channelling down the outside of the basket. So if i overdose i can see the tamper hasn't touched the basket and i take some out, and if i havent added enough i get a failed coffee and a soggy puck but i would rather redo the odd coffee then have to keep replacing collars.

zeezaw likes this.

Demo flash, you can replace the grouphead(collar)yourself. I did it on my 6910 a couple of years ago. Brought 1 online and it worked great. Not hard to fit, just a bit of time and a few hand tools required.
    My 6910 is in the “pay it forward” section to give away.
    Maurice

Attempt at tig welding collar

Drilling to give JB weld something to stick to

Final product

3d Printed a tamper with a lip 8mm high which stops me from overdosing. It is perfectly 1mm updosed. also stops me tamping crooked. Worst that happens is that i underdose but thats better than wrecking the coffee machine.