Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By noidle22

Thread: Sunbeam EM7000R - Multiple faults, second hand purchase, PLEASE HELP!

Sunbeam EM7000R - Multiple faults, second hand purchase, PLEASE HELP!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,

First post here so I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

I just purchased a Sunbeam EM7000 second hand after spending a few months trying to convince the minister of finance (the wife) that it is a good investment.

We picked it up today, and I quickly tested out the steam wand and to see if water was being produced through the head (with no grind) at the persons house, after paying for it, and then tried to use it, I'm pretty heartbroken.

I've encountered the following faults:

- Water leaking under the machine when trying to extract a shot.
    - Hot water nozzle does not work, instead water pulses from the head.
    - Whatever I do, I cannot extract a single shot from either the single head or double head (this is also where the water leaks from the bottom).
    - Pressure is not rising on the gauge.

The shot itself is very sloppy after inspecting. The beans I'm using are freshly roasted from Java Lifestyle and I've tried both a course and fine grind to no avail. I've tried tampering hard, and softly with no luck.

I would really be appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction here.

Thank you,

You are going to have to pull a cover off the machine and find/fix the leak. Its probably a oring somewhere.
    The hot water nozzle may be blocked, or its solenoid/tap blocked.

But fix the leak, and a good descale may get you started.

And- welcome!

Hey Jackster, thanks!

I've taken off the top and bottom cover and haven't yet identified a leak.
    I've also leak tested the water tank just in case and it seems fine.

I'm currently on the third descale using a vinegar solution, and the other two have been with regular descaling powder.

I'm starting to think that the issue isn't cleanliness (the inside of the machine looks very clean, and more importantly; dry.

For some reason it won't build enough pressure on the group head to push the water through the coffee grind. The coffee pressure gauge doesn't rise when I try and extract a shot.

The water tap is still non-operational, I've visually checked over the three-way valve that it goes to and it visually looks fine and water is still coming out from the group head instead of the tap when turned on.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Stuffed pump?
    Get the flow chart for the pump and measure the flow with 0 pressure.
    Its on here somewhere....
    Check the flow at the group head, and if not enough there measure it straight out the pump.

Must be a leak there somewhere if its puddling under the machine. That will also cause lower pressure. Though the gauge can also be blocked...

I think there is a valve thing above the shower screen. This stays closed to divert the water to the hot spout. More pressure closes the hot tap and opens the flow to the group head....
    Pretty sure thats breville. Its on sunbeams

1. What grinder are you using? If it unable to grind fine enough, the water will flow through the grounds with no pressure and won't register on the gauge.
    You can try using a dual wall basket or the cleaning disc, you should get a reading on the gauge either of these.

2. Is the water leaking from the back of the machine or the middle and is it hot or cold?
    Hot water in the middle means its leaking after the thermoblock (suspect cracked fitting or leaking 3 way valve).
    Cold water at the back is a leak from the coffee pump. The pumps are located under the plastic cover on the base of the machine. Pretty easy to remove and check.

3. If the hot water tap hasn't been used frequently, scale will accumulate on the plunger and freeze it within the solenoid body.
    Sunbeam didn't make the solenoids servicable but you can get into them if you try hard enough.
    You need to loosen the 14mm nut on top of the coil as far as it will go. This will let you get a spanner on the 14mm base of the solenoid body itself.

Unscrewing the body gives access to the internals. The plunger may take some work to free up if it is scaled in place.

You can soak the lower part of the solenoid (with the tap part) and the plunger in descaler however not the solenoid body as the coil is still attached.
    A small brass wire brush can be used to clean it up.
    rawill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    1. What grinder are you using? If it unable to grind fine enough, the water will flow through the grounds with no pressure and won't register on the gauge.
    You can try using a dual wall basket or the cleaning disc, you should get a reading on the gauge either of these.

2. Is the water leaking from the back of the machine or the middle and is it hot or cold?
    Hot water in the middle means its leaking after the thermoblock (suspect cracked fitting or leaking 3 way valve).
    Cold water at the back is a leak from the coffee pump. The pumps are located under the plastic cover on the base of the machine. Pretty easy to remove and check.

3. If the hot water tap hasn't been used frequently, scale will accumulate on the plunger and freeze it within the solenoid body.
    Sunbeam didn't make the solenoids servicable but you can get into them if you try hard enough.
    You need to loosen the 14mm nut on top of the coil as far as it will go. This will let you get a spanner on the 14mm base of the solenoid body itself.

Unscrewing the body gives access to the internals. The plunger may take some work to free up if it is scaled in place.

You can soak the lower part of the solenoid (with the tap part) and the plunger in descaler however not the solenoid body as the coil is still attached.
    A small brass wire brush can be used to clean it up.

Hey all, firstly thanks for taking the time to reply!

I've fixed the hot water tap issue after descaling the machine 10 or so times, so seems like there was just a blockage in the lines somewhere.

I also haven't noticed a leak since posting last and after descaling, I've taken off both the top and bottom covers and inspected it through the group head cleansing and the descaling process.

I still cannot acquire pressure on the gauge or the group head; I've done the test mentioned above with the cleaning disc, however the gauge still reads '0'. Would this indicate a faulty coffee pump?

As for the grinder, its a Sunbeam EM440, I'm hesitant to direct my attention at the grind, prior to ensuring I have enough pressure to push water through the group head.
    (Regardless, I've tried incredibly fine grind to very course grind, and tamping light/heavy, to no avail).

Check pump flow.. 650ml/min

From mal...
    Now it’s time to check the “WATER DEBIT.” Basically you’re looking for the pump to push 60 –100ml of water out of the group in 10 seconds. If you get less than this something is seriously wrong, a bit more is not a problem. Turn on the brew switch and simply run water through the group via the empty portafilter for 10 seconds and measure how much you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Check pump flow.. 650ml/min

From mal...
    Now it’s time to check the “WATER DEBIT.” Basically you’re looking for the pump to push 60 –100ml of water out of the group in 10 seconds. If you get less than this something is seriously wrong, a bit more is not a problem. Turn on the brew switch and simply run water through the group via the empty portafilter for 10 seconds and measure how much you get.
    Hey Jackster,

I've just measured the amount coming out and managed to get 80ml through the double basket with no coffee grind.

However still no pressure when empty or when grind is in the basket.

Would this simply be due to a restriction in the line from calcium build up? It might explain the issue considering the water tap was also blocked until I descaled it so many times to unclear it.

Thanks again,

Just a quick update, I've also noticed when I did the previous test, that water backflushed in the water catch (underneath where you rest the coffee mug on). Would this be an indication of anything obvious to look for?

80ml in a minute?

Seems like your pressure is going out the drip tray.
    I havent had a 7000 apart, but i think they are similar to a 6910.
    Anyway, pull top off and follow the piping. Somewhere between the brew head and the pump is the brew solenoid. It is leaking water into drip tray instead of sealing off and making all the water go to the cup.

Find it and clean/replace it. Dont soak the coil on top in descaler...
    Bigger solenoids can remove the coil, undo the top and clean the plunger and seats. Not sure if yours comes apart that far, but it should.

Also the piping that goes to the pressure gauge is there. Hold a bike pump up hard against the fitting and see if you can get the gauge to move....it may need descaling too

Rbn
    Double check, might not be the same as the 6910, which works on pressure and a capillary tube. I suspect th 7000 is electronic, a repair man told me that is the case.