Thread: Sunbeam EM6910 Calc. Filter/Matt Perger water recipe

Sunbeam EM6910 Calc. Filter/Matt Perger water recipe

Hi all, I've been lurking around getting caught in the rabbit warren that is coffeesnobs for quite a while now, however this is my first post. I have a question in regards to my Sunbeam EM6910. I have decided to use Matt Pergers water recipe with my machine and noticed the anti-calc filter in the bottom of the water reservoir and wondered if I should take this out to get the benefits of the water recipe since calcium along with magnesium are essential to the water recipe working the way it is designed to. I do understand the anti-calc is designed to help eliminate scale build up, but also wondering if this could be combatted with more regular descaling of the machine? Thanks heaps in advance for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Dicky94 View Post
    Hi all, I've been lurking around getting caught in the rabbit warren that is coffeesnobs for quite a while now, however this is my first post. I have a question in regards to my Sunbeam EM6910. I have decided to use Matt Pergers water recipe with my machine and noticed the anti-calc filter in the bottom of the water reservoir and wondered if I should take this out to get the benefits of the water recipe since calcium along with magnesium are essential to the water recipe working the way it is designed to. I do understand the anti-calc is designed to help eliminate scale build up, but also wondering if this could be combatted with more regular descaling of the machine? Thanks heaps in advance for any help!
    Hi, and welcome. How old is the anti-calc filter in your machine? Those particular filters are only moderately effective even when new and if you live in a hard water area and youíre relying on it to protect your 6910 they should be replaced every couple of months. Iíve got a 6910 and have also refurbished a few. One of the first things I do when I buy an old 6910 is take out the filter and throw it away. People tend to forget about them and some people leave the same one in there for years!!!
    If youíre going to be creating a specific water recipe then you need to get rid of the in tank filter as well. New filters also have a reputation for imparting a less than pleasant taste for the first few weeks of use. Yet another reason to avoid them. So yes, run without one and as you say just descale the machine a little more often if necessary. Whatís the TDS of the water youíre using? If itís in the low 100s then you shouldnít need to descale your machine any more than say 3 times a year depending on how much you use it. Hope this helps.

Haha well I am one of those people who had forgotten about mine and it has been in the machine for probably around a year and a half now. So it'll definitely be coming out! I figured that it would be pretty useless anyway. Ok great, so how do I go about removing the in tank filter?
    I'm not 100% sure of the TDS of this water recipe, but I'm guessing it is a little less than third wave wated which is around 150. Maybe somewhere between 100-150. Either way, if I'm getting better coffees I don't mind descaling more often. Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it.

The in tank filter is very easy to remove. Just pull the water tank out of the back of your machine, tip out any remaining water then reach in and remove the filter.