Thread: EM3600 - Dual Floor Humility

invisible_insect

EM3600 - Dual Floor Humility

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After working out how to pull some decent shots on my new EM6910 at home I didnt hesitate to jump straight onto the EM3600 at work to show them how its done. *8-) After a ritualistic preparation of the shot (note: first time I use a dual floor basket!) I flicked the button for the expresso pour.....

Each clunk of the pre-infusion heightened my senses in expectation of the perfect shot about to ooze from the spout. I get in close to cast my expert eye upon the pour....

and as if the hand of God were turning the handle itself, the group handle wound undone from the pressure and exploded coffee everywhere, but mostly on me because of my expert proximity to the machine. *:-[

After a humiliating cleanup I inspected the underside of this "dual floor" basket and wondered how the hell coffee is supposed to pass through one very small single hole of this stupid contraption. *>:(

Re: EM3600 - Dual Floor Humility

Quote Originally Posted by invisible insect link=1185895593/0#0 date=1185895593

After a humiliating cleanup I inspected the underside of this "dual floor" basket and wondered how the hell coffee is supposed to pass through one very small single hole of this stupid contraption. >:(

invisible insect,

With pressurised or "crema enhancing" baskets the pressure for the extraction is provided by forcing the coffee through that small hole (a bit like a pressure cooker)....

You dont want the puck to offer much resistance - so you use a coarser grind and barely tamp.... you wont get very good coffee from one of these baskets.... but at least they wont fail spectacularly as they do when you use a "normal" puck with the single hole as well..... they are really designed for stale supermarket coarse grounds which are tamped lightly with the supplied flimsy plastic tamp :-/

I agree with what JavaB has said. In the mean time, before you get some non-pressurised baskets. Try about 4kgs tamp pressure and hold the group handle during extraction. Although you prob wont have it undo again if you have groung coarser and reduced the tamp pressure.
    Good luck.

invisible_insect

Thanks :), I bet the info was all on the instuction manual. Maybe the machine needs a sticker that reads "This may look like an espresso machine, but should not be treated like one".

Anyway, I think Ive clogged the basket with the Gloria Jeans espresso grind we have at work. I do have some smaller than standard/usual baskets from an old machine that I might be able to replace it with. Does the basket come apart for cleaning? Thought Id ask before I attack it with a knife.

Thinking about though. Im glad I didnt make this mistake on the EM6910 at home ;).