Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By noidle22
  • 2 Post By 338
  • 4 Post By noidle22
  • 2 Post By Erimus

Thread: SB 6910 with issues

SB 6910 with issues

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I bought a spare 6910 that has problems. Just trying to find out if I can rectify the issue cheap enough otherwise I will sell on here for parts. When turning the power on the group head heats up fine but will not get past the red light onto the normal green light, leaving it unable to allow water to pass through. Have cleaned the machine thoroughly. Unsure if it's the board that needs replacing or another issue.
    I'm also unable to perform a factory reset as stated in the user manual before actually turning power on

Most likely a blown thermal fuse on the steam thermoblock. A reasonably cheap and simple repair.
    Sunbeam part number for a replacement fuse is EM69163.
    gordons and 338 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Most likely a blown thermal fuse on the steam thermoblock. A reasonably cheap and simple repair.
    Sunbeam part number for a replacement fuse is EM69163.
    How cheap is cheap? If I do buy this will it definitely fix the issue? I don't want to fix a already working part

Quote Originally Posted by FilthySudo View Post
    How cheap is cheap? If I do buy this will it definitely fix the issue? I don't want to fix a already working part
    You don't want much with your free Internet diagnosis!!!

Noidle is an experienced tech who is generous with his knowledge on these forums. You give him two lines of info, no photos, no running a multimeter over anything and are looking for guarantees? If you need a guarantee send your machine to noidle, pay his service fee and I am sure he will guarantee his diagnosis.

Maybe you needed a guarantee from the seller of the machine?
    level3ninja and Lyrebird like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    You don't want much with your free Internet diagnosis!!!

Noidle is an experienced tech who is generous with his knowledge on these forums. You give him two lines of info, no photos, no running a multimeter over anything and are looking for guarantees? If you need a guarantee send your machine to noidle, pay his service fee and I am sure he will guarantee his diagnosis.

Maybe you needed a guarantee from the seller of the machine?
    Having a dig much? I asked a question, how am I supposed to know its not enough info? how am I supposed to know hes and experienced tech? And seller sold as is and told me the machine was doing this issue but didn't have a diagnosis on it, which is fair enough for the price I paid for the machine. But sure, next time ill post some more info up as now I know I need to

In his generous suggestion he said 'most likely'. On the limited info that seems fair to me. You are right, there may be someone else willing to give assurances and help you through every step, I will bow out and let that person post. If they don't there is a literal tonne of repair info on the 6910 on this forum, instead of taking the suggestion by the experienced tech.

Yes I can see what he posted thanks. Im not expecting a sure fix just some ideas as such, and he gave me one
    No need to respond any further

I do usually try to be more comprehensive in my replies but I was on my mobile at the time and didn't want to write much.

The part is $15, a quick Google will reveal. It requires some soldering or crimping to attach it to the original wire from the machine.

I can only recall one occasion that it was not the thermal fuse that caused this problem, rather a failed thermostat on the steam thermoblock. I'd say I've probably done 75 or so machines with this fault so I'm pretty confident that a new fuse will fix your issue.

One thing that can be the root cause of the failure is that the relay to control the thermoblock has failed shorted. This means that it's constantly trying to apply power to the thermoblock regardless if the machine is on or off. If it's just plugged in and turned on at the wall it will try to heat. This will cause the new fuse to blow again pretty fast.

To double check this after you have replaced the fuse, plug it in and switch on the powerpoint but do not turn the machine on. After 10 seconds, unplug the machine and feel the thermoblock.
    If it feels warm then you have a relay problem (circuit board repairs or replacement) but if it's cold then you should be good to go.
    saeco_user, oliverm, 338 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FilthySudo View Post
    Yes I can see what he posted thanks. Im not expecting a sure fix just some ideas as such, and he gave me one
    No need to respond any further
    A thank you to noidle wouldn't go amiss.
    338 and Jackster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    A thank you to noidle wouldn't go amiss.
    I'd been busy as of late and hadn't gotten round to seeing his latest reply so thanks for filling me in. I have ordered the part he suggested so will give that a go. Thanks to noodle for his tech info!