Thread: Saeco Via venezia mushroom valve is stuck

Saeco Via venezia mushroom valve is stuck

Hi everyone, I have bought a second hand Saeco Via venezia machine + Rancilio Grinder about 6 months ago. My first coffee machine and Grinder, makes great coffee and love it.
    It has recently started leaking when we turn the machine on through the brew head and steam wand sometimes and its not that big deal, but i am keen to change the spring and the ball valve.

I have been trying unscrew the mushroom valve (No 45 valve holder screw for boiler) but its really tight. I have bought a 10mm Flat head screw driver bit and used a socket wrench with some WD40 but had no luck loosening it. I have also used a coin which fitted perfectly but the mushroom valve didnt budge a bit.
    I happened to remove some of the metal from the mushroom valve even though i tried to be very careful.
    Just wondering if anyone had the same issue or know what else i can try to unscrew it?

Thank you.

I recently replaced the spring and ball valve on my Via Venezia. To remove the bushing, I used a metal washer which I needed to file down a bit so it was thin enough. It did require some force. Just make sure you are applying enough force downwards too (I had the machine upside down) so you don't strip it.

Hi Papanick. Thanks for your reply. I did try with a coin which did fit perfectly, but was not able to budge it with everything i tried. Then i bought 10mm flat head screw driver bit with a socket wrench with the Machine turning it upside down and full downward force. But kept shaving off the valve but it did not budge. I also tried spraying a bit of WD40 and it still didnt loosen up.
    Not sure what else i can try.
    Any other suggestions please?
    Thanks.

WD40 is not particularly good as a penetrating agent (better than nothing), but proper penetrating agents aren't food safe (neither is WD40). Can you post a photo of the offending screw/joint?

Hi level3ninja. Thanks for the reply. One of my friend suggested the WD-40. Please see the link below of the mushroom value which is stuck. Sorry the picture is not that clear.
    https://ibb.co/iDFXO9

If you google "food safe penetrating oil" you should find one at the top of the list. With the machine upside down spray a good dose of that on every hour for a few days (while you're awake and at home). If it's still stuck try using a small gas blowtorch (I'm thinking pencil type) to heat the part around the outside of the part you're trying to undo. Just make sure there's no flammable penetrating oil left before trying this.

Also where are you located?

Thanks, ill have a look for the Food safe penetrating Oil.
    Also im located in Brisbane.

Do you have access to an impact driver with a screwdriver bit. They were designed to remove tight screws.
    Also try a pin punch and hammer as it is the initial wack from the hammer on the pin punch that will jar the screw loose.
    The heat trick works also especially if you follow the heat with a spray of cold spray that you use on burns to cool them down. The heat up and rapid cool down helps to loosen the screw.
    The easiest way is just take it in for a service before you do too much damage to the screw head.
    Maurice

Thanks Birkin7, ill give the hammer trick a try and see if it makes any difference. Just need to make sure i dont damage it.
    currently i dont have a blow torch or similar tools.
    Worst case ill try to send it in for a service.
    Thanks everyone for you help. Will get back to you with an update.

Do you have a heat gun? A hair dryer?

You do not need a very strong heat, just a little patience to heat soak it.

Dont have a heat gun. But i can borrow my wife's hair dryer.
    If its only little heat, than its good then. Ill give it a try this week and get back.

Thanks so much guys.
    I have been bit busy at work and also sick, so didnt get a chance to try the options you have provided.
    Thanks.