Thread: BES870 portafilter issue

BES870 portafilter issue

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a BES870 which has worked well for approx 3 years. On two occasions I have had to replace the portafilter rubber seal due to wear an tear. A simple fix. So on my latest attempt all went ok, I purchased the seal from the same company as before. But when I went to make a coffee bloody water and coffee shot out of the sides of the portafilter. So I readjusted how much coffee was in it (put more in) to see if that helped seal it. Still no dice. When locking the portafilter in it doesn't seem as firm as the other times i replaced the rubber seal. The supplier doesn't think the seal is faulty, so I am at a bit of a loss. I have a second seal on the way from a different supplier in-case this one is faulty.
    Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas how i can resolve it short of buying a new machine?

It sounds like you might have been putting too much coffee in the basket to start with, and adding more won't have helped it seal. You may have damaged some part of the collar assembly so that even with the right seal it's not filling in all the gaps.

Yeah I was kinda afraid of that. I might be looking for a new machine if that’s the case

Maybe your grouphead is worn? They sell them as a spare part.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Maybe your grouphead is worn? They sell them as a spare part.
    I did consider this and it’s an inexpensive part but looks like a ball ache to fit

If anyone has some good instructions on how t9 do this that would be great

I know this is an old thread, but I have replaced this seal a few times and it seems to crap out faster and faster (last one was only 6 months old and the machine only does 3-4 cups a day). I have now replaced the seal with a San Marco solid rubber seal (64 x 52 x 5.5) plus some back up paper gaskets to achieve the correct thickness for a good seal at the basket. Seems to work better than the original seal ever did, as occasionally if I brewed 2 cups one after the other the group head would wind itself off resulting in a coffee and water explosion if I wasn't watching. This no longer occurs. This seal is 1/3 of the price of the Breville part which always seemed particularly expensive to me...

Sounds very much like wear in the group head and portafilter to me.

Its possible to carry out temporary fixes, like modifying lug angles on PF with a file, however ultimately you will probably have to bite the bullet and replace the worn parts.

You could try putting a spacer in, seems to work well enough on Sunbeams with similar problems. TampIt recommends Weetbix cardboard for thickness. Anyway, it costs nothing to experiment.

Yeah nah, this machine has been winding it off when making consecutive cups since almost new. Possibly some type of manufacturing issue but Breville service person inspected it way back when it first began and said the machine was fine. I believe the urethane seal is too soft for my machine, as you could see the portafilter handle tilt down slightly when full pump pressure came on. All good when the seal was dry (1st cup) but add moisture and it would slowly unwind. Doesn't happen with the San Marco seal.

Quote Originally Posted by ento View Post
    Yeah nah
    Morning ento, you've provided my morning smile.