Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By noidle22

Thread: This might be a stretch, but best $300 machine in AUS?

This might be a stretch, but best $300 machine in AUS?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Yeah yeah, I'm an American. But I grew up here in AUS, and in fact am in Sydney right playing in a cricket tournament. One of my teammates is really keen to get his brother the best $300 machine he can.

He didn't say it's an absolutely unbreakable hard limit. He's pretty reasonable and could probably go a little more $$$ for a lot more performance. It's just that it's for his brother and not him. He has a good job and seems happy enough for himself, buying soy or almond milk lattes.

I'm sure a good theromblock or an SBDU would be fine. I will explain to him about the need for a good grinder, and that if his brother takes to this, he will want something else. But I don't know where to shop in Aussie any more (moved away a long time ago), or how much to pay.

Any advice?

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 10th January 2019 at 09:26 PM.

This might be a stretch, but best $300 machine in AUS?

For an appliance grade espresso machine you would pay approx double that for an older entry level model. Maybe a bit cheaper on special. You would be shopping at any of the stores that come up in a google search for sunbeam or breville espresso machines. Or could get a manual shot puller like a Flair but would need to sort out milk separately.

Ps. If he decides to try and mod his appliance grade breville to be more ‘slayer like’ I could recommend a guy that knows a bit about it....
    Last edited by Melbroaster; 10th January 2019 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    Ps. If he decide to try and mod his appliance grade breville to be more ‘slayer like’ I could recommend a guy that knows a bit about it....
    Preposterous!
    (There's a large thread about it over on HB, including some very interested and skillful outsiders participating and contributing.)

-Peter

Breville BES810 Duo-Temp Pro, $225 at Big W. Nothing even close to it's performance at that price.

A decent hand grinder could be bought new with the change or budget a bit more for a Breville BCG600 at $200 RRP.
    matth3wh and level3ninja like this.

On Friday, he was getting $299 on the BigW web site. Not a deal breaker but who wouldn't be happier with $229?

-Peter