Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sportssedanman
  • 1 Post By JojoS
  • 1 Post By Sportssedanman

Thread: Gaggia Evolution - is the OPV broken??

Gaggia Evolution - is the OPV broken??

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I have a 14yo Evolution. I am giving it the 5 yearly overhaul. All seems to be in order except it just pumps water through the boiler and back to the water reservoir. I pulled the brass thing on top of the boiler off and water flows both ways through it (with the steam valve off). Should there be an OPV in there to force water through the group rather than just running out the top of the boiler?

Gaggia Evolution OPV.jpg

Hope someone can help.

David
    Last edited by Sportssedanman; 3rd February 2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Removed bad link

Once you have 5 posts the photos will appear

Well I had better get posting then!

A 'how to post pictures' can be found here.

Java "Pics!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

There are several Gaggia domestic machine How-To webpages around and probably better ones than the one I found. If you go though it though, it identifies all the components and how to remove/refit them so may be helpful...

http://protofusion.org/wordpress/201...-and-cleaning/

Mal.
    Last edited by Dimal; 3rd February 2019 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks for your reply Mal. I have been through a few of them. I am pretty sure I am right that the brass piece in the photo contains the OPV and it should not let water through until the pressure reaches 9 or 10 bar. I am looking for confirmation of this.

I found a part called "Gaggia Valve Faucet Water Vapor Machine coffee Evolution Coffe 11010318" online which is aluminium rather than brass and at about $100 is probably money better put towards a new machine.

Actually no, the valve you indicated above is not the OPV...
    If you scan through the document I linked to, it identifies the OPV, how to service it, etc...

Mal.

The brass piece youíre pointing to in the photo is the steam/water valve. And yes replacement ones are available in both brass and alloy.
    The Evolution doesnít have a 3-way and I thought it didnít have an OPV either, but that looks like and OPV just to the right of the pump in the photo. Were you having problems before you took the machine apart?

Hi Mal, the OPV on the classic (the link you provided) is on the side of the machine. The Evolution is different. It does not have the OPV on the side.

Hi Leroy C, you are right, the valve just to the right of the pump is an OPV, but the classic has a second OPV and I thought the Evolution would too.

Hold everything! I think I worked it out. When I pulled the brass piece off the top of the boiler, I think I lost a part. It is a silicone ball that works as a one way valve. It is part 10 in this diagram:

https://wiki.wholelattelove.com/imag...ts_Diagram.pdf

Now I just need to find a replacement.
    Dimal likes this.

There is no OPV in the Gaggia Evolution. It has a self priming valve on the steam valve assembly that is best plugged.
    Dimal likes this.

http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/inde...l;sa=page;p=73 on how to plug the self priming valve.

Great idea JojoS. Thanks.

I ended up tapping an M3 thread into the threaded insert that has the hose attached to it, then screwing in an M3 screw to block the return circuit to the reservoir.
    Dimal likes this.

Sounds like youíre all sorted. Good to hear.