Thread: Upgrading from Sunbeam EM2800

Upgrading from Sunbeam EM2800

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I have been using the EM2800 machine and EM0480 grinder for a couple of years now and have been quite content with what I can produce with it. I know it's the bottom of the market! But I wanted to see how much I used it and it has been really fun playing around with my grind/tamp/etc (not to mention pulling apart the grinder to add washers).

Long story short, recently water has been leaking over the group handle when pulling a shot. I replaced the seal yesterday but that doesn't seem to have helped the issue so I'm thinking now might be the time to upgrade...

I still don't want to spend crazy money as this is a weekend use only device (and even then not every weekend), but I suppose I want to get a sense from people as to what actually would be an upgrade, what is worth extra money and what is pointless to go above without also replacing my grinder.

I have been looking at the:
    Breville BES810 (The Duo Temp Pro) - $300
    and the
    Breville BES840 (The Infuser) - $330

As I understand, the only difference between those 2 is programmable buttons (don't care) and a visible temperature gauge (assuming the 810 maintains the temperature in the same way, the visible gauge doesn't bother me).

I suppose my questions are:
    1. Is the 840 worth the extra money over the 810?
    2. Is there something else in the same price bracket I should be considering instead?
    3. How much more than $330 would I have to spend to jump up a level in quality?
    4. Are either/both of these machines of a level where I need to replace my grinder? (I HIGHLY doubt it).
    5. Probably most importantly, are these machines actually any better than the EM2800 which I can get a replacement for for $100? Looking at the specs, it doesn't seem that I am actually gaining anything in technology by paying $200 more, but I just assume that I must be? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Balthraka View Post
    As I understand, the only difference between those 2 is programmable buttons (don't care) and a visible temperature gauge (assuming the 810 maintains the temperature in the same way, the visible gauge doesn't bother me).
    As far as I know that's correct, however it's a pressure gauge not a temperature gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthraka View Post
    I suppose my questions are:
    1. Is the 840 worth the extra money over the 810?
    2. Is there something else in the same price bracket I should be considering instead?
    3. How much more than $330 would I have to spend to jump up a level in quality?
    4. Are either/both of these machines of a level where I need to replace my grinder? (I HIGHLY doubt it).
    5. Probably most importantly, are these machines actually any better than the EM2800 which I can get a replacement for for $100? Looking at the specs, it doesn't seem that I am actually gaining anything in technology by paying $200 more, but I just assume that I must be? Can anyone enlighten me?
    1. That's up to you, by the sounds of it you don't care about the extra features.

2. No the 810 is the best bang for buck at this end of the new market. If I were you I'd look at a second hand EM6910. Get one with the round "red dot" drop tray indicator instead of the "red line" stop tray indicator (the dot style is on the older and better machines). You can pick them up for as little as $50, though $150 is more common.

3. If you insist on buying new probably $500+. If second hand is ok see comments above.

4. No, by the sounds of it you've shimmed the 480 already.

5. Yes. Make sure you buy a set of single wall filter baskets of you do get the 810/840 you, they don't come with them. If you're not keen on the 6910 I'd look at getting an 810 second hand (or even it's predecessor the 800). I picked up an 800 for $50 several years ago and as far as I know it's still going strong in the community centre I gave it to 4-5 years ago. There not that much to go wrong with them, and you'll get a good sense of how will there been looked after by looking at the group head and inside the portafilter.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    As far as I know that's correct, however it's a pressure gauge not a temperature gauge.
    Ah yes, pressure, apologies.

1. That's up to you, by the sounds of it you don't care about the extra features.
    Haha. Fair enough!
    Yes, it really doesn't bother me assuming that it is using the same mechanism to get that pressure.

I guess the question was more about whether there is anything else you get that I was missing...

2. No the 810 is the best bang for buck at this end of the new market.
    Good to know. Thanks.

If I were you I'd look at a second hand EM6910. Get one with the round "red dot" drop tray indicator instead of the "red line" stop tray indicator (the dot style is on the older and better machines). You can pick them up for as little as $50, though $150 is more common.
    I'm not opposed to 2nd hand. I had a look at the sales page earlier, but it was just so overwhelming when not knowing exactly what I was looking for!
    I'll check it out again.

What does an EM6910 get me over the BES810 for example?

3. If you insist on buying new probably $500+. If second hand is ok see comments above.
    Good to know. Thanks.

4. No, by the sounds of it you've shimmed the 480 already.
    I have indeed!

5. Yes. Make sure you buy a set of single wall filter baskets of you do get the 810/840 you, they don't come with them.
    Can I trouble you to give me an idea of what makes these models better than the 2800?
    I mean, I assume they must be at the price, but as I said, the tech looks the same so I'm just struggling to understand what I actually get for my extra $200...

What will single wall filler baskets set me back?

Thank you so much for you super quick reply!

You'll probably have to find a 6910 on fleabay or scumtree, they only come up here rarely. The 6910 is about 2 big steps up from the 810, in terms of its ability to provide consistent pressure and temperature of your brew water. It can also steam milk at the same time, it's milk steaming abilities are a good step up too. The 800 series from Breville are significantly better than the low end Sunbeams at making good coffee. They are built looking much the same in size, layout and components but the Brevilles can make better coffee. The single wall baskets cost around $20 from memory.

My advice is to go second hand whatever model you choose. What's your location?

You'll probably have to find a 6910 on fleabay or scumtree, they only come up here rarely. The 6910 is about 2 big steps up from the 810, in terms of its ability to provide consistent pressure and temperature of your brew water. It can also steam milk at the same time, it's milk steaming abilities are a good step up too.
    Cool. Thank you.

The 800 series from Breville are significantly better than the low end Sunbeams at making good coffee. They are built looking much the same in size, layout and components but the Brevilles can make better coffee.
    Fair enough! I guess the look is putting me off...

The single wall baskets cost around $20 from memory.
    I actually just had a look and most sites claim the 810 comes with 4 baskets. Single and double cup in single and double walled.
    So, might be alright.

My advice is to go second hand whatever model you choose. What's your location?
    Noted.
    Melbourne.
    Last edited by Balthraka; 1 Week Ago at 03:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

I'm an Aussie based in Abu Dhabi but currently working in Rwanda
    May be worth looking at the new Bambino also - has some espresso features as the Duo Temp and Infuser but smaller footprint and auto milk wand (if that appeals to you) ??

Quote Originally Posted by theosouris View Post
    May be worth looking at the new Bambino also - has some espresso features as the Duo Temp and Infuser but smaller footprint and auto milk wand (if that appeals to you) ??

Thanks for that.

Where would you say the Bambino fits in the lineup?
    Compared to the 810 and 840?

Price wise I think it is closer to the Infuser rather than the Duo-Temp as it is priced similarly and packs a lot of tech into the small package.

Gail did a review on SCG recently and maybe worth a look too to get some details on how it stacks up in the model range.

I thought it was priced above both?

About $20 more according to Harvey Norman

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/kitc...s/breville/993