Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Hoggy42
  • 3 Post By TampIt

Thread: Second hand machines

Second hand machines

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys. Have been doing some research and looking at getting a second hand machine. Several people have recommended the breville express or the delonghi magnifica.
    But someone else said to avoid machines with inbuilt grinders, as they can break and mean $$$ repairs. They recommended the sunbeam cafe series.
    Anyway I thought I would ask here. I'm happy to buy a secondhand machine, 400 or less. It's just me plus any guests. what would you guys recommend?? I've had a pod machine but I hate it.
    Thanks!

Welcome "Redheadkristy"...

This machine in our 4-Sale section would be a good buy but you would need to have some lessons on how to use and look after the machine. Will last a lifetime when looked after properly. You will also need a decent grinder too such as this one from another seller in the same section. Together they will make for an awesome start-up espresso system...

Mal.
    Yelta likes this.

Perfect thanks! Any ideas on where I can attend lessons in Sydney, or maybe online lessons?

No worries...

Have a look through our Site Sponsor list above and check out any that might be close to you. You really need to do a one-on-one session with someone who knows what they're doing, learning by online video, etc is next to impossible when you are first starting out.

Mal.

thanks!

BTW - I'm pretty sure that machine is sold. Any other suggestions?
    I've also found a sunbeam 6910 with a sunbeam grinder for $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Redheadkristy View Post
    thanks!

That'll give you a good starting point, assuming the grinder is an EM0480, not a lower number. The 480s can be ok (some aren't) but the lower number models are generally rubbish.

Any other suggestions?
    Hello again...

I wouldn't be happy recommending used appliance machines. Would need a very thorough going over by someone who knows and understands the machine to ensure you aren't buying someone else's problems.

There is another machine listed for a very attractive price but not sure if it's still available. A bit more than your nominated budget and includes a grinder. Definitely worth considering in my view...

Mal.
    WarrenK likes this.

Hi I've owned a few EM6910's like Mal I'd be reluctant to recommend buying a used one personally for the potential problems I think $300 is too much. The first one I bought new and it makes a good coffee and lasted a good few years however the steamer died and I couldn't fix it and ended up buying another used one for under $100 that worked ok I did that again for $80 when that machine broke down. The 2 weak points seem to be the steamer and the where the portafilter lugs fit into seem to wear quite badly. I paid $400 a little over a year ago for my Expobar machine and grinder found it on Gumtree asking $600ish and made the offer to my surprise they took it I only asked to see it in operation. my advise other then trying to get something on this forum is to keep an eye on Gumtree ebay and the Facebook market place there are deals out there don't be afraid to make offers some people have had things for sale for months you've nothing to lose by asking.
    Dimal likes this.

thanks!

G'day Redheadkristy

S/h 6910: If you know what you are looking at and / or prepared to tinker they are brilliant value for money. Any I spot in WA I go and check them out and if they are up to scratch they end up at a friend's / rellies place. They can give years of reliable service. Usually they just need a (very) thorough clean and factory reset (in the manual, which is somewhere on this site or available via Sunbeam's website).

The main 6910 reliability issue: The market they aim for does not tend to maintain their machine at all, and even cleaning it is rare. Just like Dimal said about a different machine "This machine in our 4-Sale section would be a good buy but you would need to have some lessons on how to use and look after the machine. Will last a lifetime when looked after properly." My friends and family have a range of s/h 6910s ranging from 2006 to 2010 (when SB cut some corners in manufacturing, they are not as well made) and they are solid "if maintained".

My 2008 one is still on its "post butchered 2010 initial repair" seal and collar (long, sad story while it was under warranty). The collar and seals only wear because people let coffee grinds into that area and it acts like exactly grinding paste - and just like any other machine out there both the collar and seal get abraded away.

$300 for a s/h 6910 and grinder is a bit steep - the s/h 6910s usually go for around $200 (I see them new for $500 to $600 pretty often) and even the EM480 grinder ($200 new, less on special) rarely goes for over $50. As L3N stated - the lower models tend to be poor. FWIW, both Breville Smartgrinders and EM480s have the odd dud "out of the new box".

6910 advantages over a traditional commercial machine (very short version, I could extend this list easily given time):-
    a) It only heats up the water you actually use, plus a smidgeon. Traditional machines heat up an entire boiler before anything happens. My 2 group La Pavoni (PL/TRE model) takes 35 minutes at 18 Amps before it can do anything (about 2,500 Kwh or "units" every time it is turned on - about $1, so just my morning and evening cuppas would cost about $700 a year by themselves, plus the actual shot / froth consumption). If you do not generate your own solar, expect a hit via the next bill for the "privilege" of heating up the water you do not use...
    b) Domestic machines with small boilers lack the ability to do multiple shots quickly. The 6910 can do at least 72 shots an hour continuously.
    c) 6910s warm up and do their first "preflush" (to heat everything evenly) in under 90 seconds, using minimal electricity. After that, 72 an hour... Most "small boiler domestic / commercial machines take 20+ minutes and use a bucketload of power in the process. Great for winter in cold climes as an extra heater, not needed in most of Oz anytime.
    d) 6910s actually offer a range of settings including preinfusion. Most traditional machines still do not allow preinfusion. FYI, preinfusion makes a marked difference "in the cuppa" for light and medium roasts.
    e) the 6910 uses thermocoils (not technically thermoblocks as stated on the front). IF they are big enough to maintain heating needs (like the 6910's are) they have very stable temperature, which is why $50K+ thermocoils are often used in chemistry labs to maintain stable temperatures in critical reactions. Boilers have to be huge to attain that kind of stability - far bigger boilers than most small domestic machines have. So there is a trade off for boilers - better temperature control at the cost of higher power consumption.
    f) Traditional brass boilers suffer from the dreaded "fish oil taint" (i.e. foul taste) and need a much higher level of maintenance than the 6910s stainless thermocoils. Simple taste test - what does the water taste like after it has gone through the machine (plastic, metallic, fish oil etc)? Most machines fail that test until they are quite old.

Just a few thoughts.

TampIt
    Last edited by TampIt; 22nd February 2019 at 11:43 PM.
    CafeLotta, coolie21 and buderim11 like this.