Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 3 Post By Dimal
  • 2 Post By bazzawill

Thread: Sub $300 coffee machine

Sub $300 coffee machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there,
    I am looking for a coffee machine the wife as imposed a $300 limit otherwise I might be looking at the sunbeam em7000, I am thinking maybe a second hand em6910.
    I have a breville BMF600 3 excellent milk froather so don't need dual boiler. The missus is leaning toward entry level $150 models. Any to recommended/avoid.
    Thanks

Find someone with a Choice magazine subscription and read the report on the $79 Kmart machine. Seems too good to be true, but certainly within budget. I am only going on the publicity in the newspaper reports. You can probably get a grinder within budget as well.
    GOOD LUCK

Yes I did see that, I too find it hard to believe. I did consider reupping my choice subscription, however it is not worth it for the one purchase I made per year.
    I do have a sunbeam EM0480 second hand grinder I use for cold brew hopefully I can shim into getting a decent grind profile

You should be able to read Choice at no charge if you visit the local library Bazza.
    bazzawill likes this.

Great tip Yelta I did not know that, will have to check it out. Thanks

A second hand 6910 or 7000 will be your best option. The $150 models are utter rubbish. Breville 800 series at a minimum.

if you're lucky you might be able to find a second-hand rancilio silvia around that price. infinitely better than the sunbeam/breville low-enders.

Personally, with that sort of budget, I'd opt for a Flair Espresso kit.
    https://alternativebrewing.com.au/pr...spresso-maker/

Produces excellent real espresso and there are a number of options available to tailor the system to your particular needs or wants. The bonus is, they look pretty spiffy, take up little room and I'm sure the approval factor won't be an issue...

Mal.
    bazzawill, Yelta and Otago like this.

I wouldn't place too much store on Choice's coffee machine tests. While I consult Choice tests for all manner of items, and find them very helpful, there have been a number coffee related recommendations and comments that have left me scratching my head. Dimal's recommendation of a Flair is a good fit for your budget and will deliver true espresso that other machines in the price range will struggle to match.

Actually, I came to that conclusion without seeing this reply. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Just need to get the wife onside ��

What style of coffee do you drink? If it's long black, or long macchiato, or you not a fan of coffee flavoured milkshakes, then a porlex and a aeropress might suffice. Or a lido (used) and a delter.... Or small electric grinder (emo480) and either the aeropress or delter....

Well it looks like I can't get the wife on board the Flair as much as I would like to. She feels that steamed milk is superior to machine heated (while the barista in me does like the manual approach however the breville is suprisingly good IMHO).
    It looks like we are going for the Breville duo temp pro BES810BSS which seems decent enough, unless anyone has experience or other thoughts.
    Dimal and Yelta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzawill View Post
    Well it looks like I can't get the wife on board the Flair as much as I would like to. She feels that steamed milk is superior to machine heated
    Morning Bazza, in this instance your wife is correct.