Thread: Recco's for steam machine

Recco's for steam machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I am seeking recommendations for a simple steam espresso machine (i.e., a machine that does NOT use a pump, but boils steam to pass through a basket, with a frother too).

For years I used a Krups 963A and, to my taste, it produced excellent coffee (provided home roasted beans and the right grind/packing was used). Something similar to it would be great.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks

If you want something that is just steam power, then you could go something like a little guy.
    Otherwise, i would suggest a manual lever machine... you could play with grind/tamp/dose so that you didn't really need to put any pressure through the handle to get an extraction (so it would be similiar to the Krups). BUT, I would recommend using it properly and getting some great espresso shots. They can take a bit to get the hang of, but once you do will make really good espresso... check out the La Pavoni Europiccola/Professional, they are fairly good quality and on the cheaper end. Steam pressure is more than adequate for milk.
    Unfortunately you may struggle to get one of these in your price range (little guy is ~599 new, La Pavoni ~950 new), but you might find something second hand that fits the budget.
    That's about all that I'm aware of, others might have more suggestions.

Just remembered, you could also check out the bellman stovetop options too - they would be within your price-range
    Last edited by witherz; 1 Week Ago at 01:32 PM. Reason: remembered another option

Thanks witherz. The Little Guy isn't worth the money for me given that I am happy with the quality of espresso from cheaper steam machines. The Bellman stovetop is much slower than an electric-powered steam machine. If you have any suggestions for an electric-powered steam machine (similar to the Krups 963A) I'd love to hear. Cheers

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by analyticalbean View Post
    Thanks witherz. The Little Guy isn't worth the money for me given that I am happy with the quality of espresso from cheaper steam machines. The Bellman stovetop is much slower than an electric-powered steam machine. If you have any suggestions for an electric-powered steam machine (similar to the Krups 963A) I'd love to hear. Cheers
    It would probably help people to help you if you explained why you don't want a machine with a pump. Is it simply cost? or something else?