• 2 Post By Lyrebird
  • 1 Post By LettyM
  • 1 Post By Lyrebird
  • 1 Post By Lyrebird

Thread: Cheap PID machines, any good?

Question Cheap PID machines, any good?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Great forum, wish I'd found here sooner!

I am planning buy a PID Kit for my Rancilio Silvia V5 E, without breaking the bank. While I was searching I came across some real cheap PID machines on eBay, around $30~40!

I wondered if anyone has actually tried any of these el-cheapo PID machines?

Cheers,

Letty

The ones from Inkbird are OK. The ones branded Rex C-100 are Chinese fakes but they work. Be careful with anything branded Fotek: whilst real parts are OK, the SSRs bundled with the fake Rex are often fake Fotek, well known for letting the smoke out.

Don't forget you need two single channel PIDs to match the performance of the Auber two channel PID, so that might not be as cheap as you think. If your PIDs have relay outputs you can control one SSR with two PIDs directly, two relayys in parallel on a common supply form a logical "OR" gate.

Also I can't see how you can fit two 1/4 DIN PIDs on a Silvia.
    Last edited by Lyrebird; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:14 PM. Reason: removed reference to open collector outputs as I think I was wrong.
    Dimal and CafeLotta like this.

Thanks Lyrebird for the detailed reply.

I've decided to go with Auber, seems to be the more sensible choice. If it's not too much to ask, may I ask you please let me know where to buy one for my Rancilio?

Cheers,
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LettyM View Post
    Thanks Lyrebird for the detailed reply.

I've decided to go with Auber, seems to be the more sensible choice. If it's not too much to ask, may I ask you please let me know where to buy one for my Rancilio?

Cheers,
    Alot of people have bought straight from the source - https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...=index&cPath=6

Note that prices are in USD not AUD and 10% GST will probably be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    Sorry I don't know, except to say that Auber has an Ebay store (Auberinstruments) so that might be a good place to start.
    You'll find it on Ebay by searching "PID kit for Rancilio Silvia Espresso, w/ Pre-infusion, White Display".
    The one listed does Pre-Infusion, Brew Temp & Steam Temp PID control.
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:17 PM.

Sorry I don't know, except to say that Auber has an Ebay store (Auberinstruments) so that might be a good place to start.
    LettyM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post

You'll find it on Ebay by searching "PID kit for Rancilio Silvia Espresso, w/ Pre-infusion, White Display".
    Thanks, I posted the store name thinking you could just search that term and it would come up but it doesn't.
    CafeLotta likes this.

Don't forget you need two single channel PIDs to match the performance of the Auber two channel PID, so that might not be as cheap as you think.
    Somewhat shamefacedly, I must point out that this is wrong. The Auber PID is a single channel unit, it is the SSR which is dual channel, so I had it the wrong way around.

In my defence I was working from memory as I gave my PID equipped Silvia away at the beginning of the year. On the other hanbd I knew that PID control of steam is fairly useless, so I should have been able to get it the right way around.

On the other hanbd I knew that PID control of steam is fairly useless
    Not strictly true Lb...

If comparing to a p/stat controlled boiler I would agree but in the case of T/stat controlled boilers, the deadband is usually so wide as to make it nearly impossible to achieve ideal steam output. PID steam control here makes a huge difference...

Mal.