Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eljay

Thread: Breville BES820 removing top panel for repairs

Breville BES820 removing top panel for repairs

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Coffee Snobs,

First-time poster here. I've noticed some problems with the steam wand on my ageing Breville BES820 coffee machine. I suspect that there is some sort of blockage that needs to be cleared. I'd like to take a look inside and see if I can identify where it is.

I can remove the rear panel easily (6 Torx screws on the rear, and two Phillips screws underneath), but I can't seem to remove the top stainless steel panel. This is a problem, as I can't get access to most of the internals with the top panel in place. Most 800-series Breville coffee machines seem to have two screws on either side of the group head that secure the top panel (e.g. see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-WCjDRRFFw for Breville BES860XL). As best as I can tell, I can't see any such screws on the BES820. Has anyone else had success removing the top panel on the BES820? If so, how?

When you remove the back panel, give the top a firm whack from the rear towards the front. It just slides off forward. You can see the hooks it has when you look inside from the back. You will find a grounding wire attached to the top, so don't yank on it once it's loose.
    elgordo likes this.

That did the trick. The panel came loose without too much trouble. Thanks!

And all the time I have been working on that tight back window... Thanks!