Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: Breville BES820 solenoid valve help

Breville BES820 solenoid valve help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    My loyal BES820 finally needs some serious look.
    Last week the hose connectors to the solenoid valve broke. I replaced them, but the solenoid valve is no longer the same.
    There is a metallic noise each time I make a pour, and the steam is not coming to the wand.
    I believe there is a sealing issue with the valve, or I mounted the valve incorrectly.
    Do you guys know where can I get repair kit for the valve? Or any instructions on how to correctly assemble the valve?
    I've seen a new valve for $150, but given the age of the machine I think is not worth.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Got any photos of before and after? Sounds like something is stuck in the valve that shouldn't be there (broken part of a hose connector?) or it hasn't been put back together correctly.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I will take some pictures and post it later.
    I had a look again today. Took the valve off and dismantle it completely. I cannot see how could I assemble it wrong as there is only one way things fit.
    The steam wand is not working at all and all the steam ends up coming out from the brewing head. I don't think there are broken hoses as there is no water leak inside the machine

Hi ninja,
    Sorry for the delay I've been quite busy.
    Pictures here...IMG_20190702_191136096.jpgIMG_20190702_191742020.jpgIMG_20190702_192236257.jpg
    In the price I found a half mm debris inside the valve. I've removed it and will test tomorrow after the thread seal cures.

Doesn't take much to upset them, hopefully that's what it was.

The solenoid valve is working again. There are no leaks and the steam is back to normal. However there is still a metallic trrrr noise (sometimes) when start brewing. Pressure also seems a bit low, so I think that the pump is also heading south. Any thoughts?

So there's no water coming into the drip tray when you're brewing a shot, only at the end once the shot has finished? Could be the pump. Hard to tell without a video.

Try removing the shower screen and seeing how much water you get in 30s starting when the water starts flowing. I'm 80% sure this machine uses an Ulla EP5 pump, so you should get between 250-300ml in 30s. If you're getting a bunch less than that a pump replacement might fix it. Contact CS member Jackster who is selling Ulla EX5 pumps (same as EP5 but with more metal parts) for a very good price, less than you'll find an EP5 for when only buying one.

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-ha...-new-25ea.html

You are a rockstar! Thanks

I did a pour this morning. Attached the video. I believe there is drops of water coming to the tray, as the pour was short.
    Video herehttps://photos.app.goo.gl/7cGrfuH8hs741hQe7

In order to tell if there is water coming into the drip tray you need to get rid of the cup and remove the drip tray lid while pulling the shot, then you will see if there is any clear water flowing into the drip tray as well as the coffee. It will probably be coming from the back of the drip tray somewhere, likely the left hand side. Have you removed the shower screen (take out portafilter and use an Allen key to undo the screw in the middle of the shower screen, take out the screw and remove the shower screen) and tested flow? Use a stopwatch and scales to determine how much water you got from the pump in 30s. Remove the shower screen, taste a cup on your scales, place the cup under the group head, press the manual shot button, as soon as you set water start the stopwatch, once 30s has elapsed stop the shot, place the cup back on your scales and tell me the weight of water.

I agree something is wrong with the shot, it's either pressure, temperature, or the coffee. We won't know which without more testing.

Yes there is water coming from the tray.
    This morning I was trying to do a coffee. I did some frothing and the steam worked ok. After that I was unable to make a pour as there was no water coming throught the head. Quite a lot of water was going to the tray.
    I think is the valve, but I don't know if it is the control or the solenoid.
    Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
    My connondrum is that this machine is quite good for the age. The new machines are not as good, and most of the better ones have integrated grinders (why?). I don't even know if it is worth spending money in fixing this...

To diagnose it properly, have your licenced electrician disconnect one of the coil wires off the solenoid and make it safe so it can't come into contact with anything, then run a shot. If it now flows normally it's the control circuit, if it still flows into the drip tray it's a mechanical issue with the valve
    Last edited by level3ninja; 1 Week Ago at 11:16 AM.

The solenoid is toast. That terrible buzzing sound in the video is a solenoid in it's death throes.

The 820 solenoid is no longer available however the three way solenoid from a BES860/870 will work in it. You'll just need to swap over the fittings onto it as it comes bare.

I would strongly consider how much you want to spend on this machine. The BES840 (replacement for the 820) is superior in pretty much every way. If you can get a new valve for cheap/free then go for it but if you need to spend a hundred or so on it, I'd probably reconsider.

Thanks guys.
    I tested the solenoid and yes I agree that is gone
    I will see if I can find a replacement for cheap/free, otherwise will look to part to a new machine.
    The only thing I don't like from the 840 is that does not have a hot water pipe on the side.
    Thanks guys for all your help. It has been a fun Sunday troubleshooting the machine.
    I'll let you guys know if something changes.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dschmeda View Post
    The only thing I don't like from the 840 is that does not have a hot water pipe on the side.
    It has a hot water outlet, it's just behind the steam wand. You'll have to buy a Sunbeam if you want a wand on the other side as all Brevilles now have the hot water outlet close by the steam wand.
    dschmeda likes this.

I think I have moved away from using the hot water wand. I have been steaming filtered water hot. It saves filling the tank so often...
    I should plumb it in and be done with it
    dschmeda likes this.