Thread: Breville Precision Brewer BDC455 - Strength issue / Too weak

Breville Precision Brewer BDC455 - Strength issue / Too weak

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

I recently picked up the Breville Precision Brewer BDC455, and I have tried every setting possible but the coffee simply comes out too weak. The caffeine is fine, but the flavour is very watery with no significant coffee aftertaste.

I've even gone as far as using beans from local AND getting them to brew for me, and comparing at home with this machine. It's like night and day and always comes out weak.

Anyone else having issues with the strength of the coffee flavour? Suggestions on how to fix? For $400 I would expect it to be perfect, but it's not at all. Pls help!

Thanks!

Can you give some more information. When your say it is weak, what are your comparing it to?
    What style of brewing are your doing?
    What function on the machine are you using?
    What's your recipe? (Amount of coffee, amounts of water, times water is added, etc)
    What grinder and grind setting are you using?
    What coffee are you using?

I'm comparing it to store bought batch brew from local cafe's.
    I'm using the machine on both Gold Standard and Strong. There is no discernible difference in taste between the 2 settings which is weird IMHO.
    Recipe is what is recommended, which is 1 scoop coffee to 150ml of water. I've even upped the ratio to try and get stronger flavour but doesn't seem to be doing anything except getting stronger in caffeine.

What grinder and grind setting are you using?
    What coffee are you using?

I'm using the Breville automatic grinder, can't remember the model number. There isn't a setting, you have to grind it manually (you press down on it and it grinds). I've even gotten my local cafe to grind it for me, and still no luck. I've tried about 4 different beans - none have the strong flavour.

Would love to hear from any other owners if they are also happy with the machine? I feel like it's such a high end machine, mine must have something wrong with it OR there is a setting I'm missing.

You're not going to have much luck with a blade grinder like that. Though I'd expect the coffee ground by the cafe to work if used fairly soon. What are the 4 different beans you've tried?

I'd like to help more but don't have one of these myself, just interested in them (but not at $400!). From memory there are only a couple of owners on CS. Hopefully one will pipe in soon.

It sounds like you're using a blade grinder, although that shouldn't make a great difference to the end product. It's best to weigh your beans before grinding, the recommended ratio is 60 grams per litre, so around 10 to 12 grams for 150 ml is about right for strong coffee, using fine to medium grind.

https://goodcalculators.com/coffee-t...io-calculator/

I don't have this machine but have used something similar, while the result is not as good as manual pour over but it shouldn't taste too weak, unless you have a faulty machine.

It sounds the water might be flowing through the filter too fast? How many "scoops" are you using per brew? (better if you can weigh your coffee and tell us the weight) and how much liquid comes out in the carafe? Have you tried timing the brew time? This is calculated as between the time when the water first hits the coffee grounds and when coffee finishes dripping from the filter.

I found with this type of machines they usually require a minimum amount of coffee to produce the optimal brewing condition - ie this brewer doesn't seem to be optimised for single cup with a 1.8L carafe.

I also had a quick look through the manual, there is a single cup/smaller volumes mode, where you need to fill the water to less than 600ml. If you are brewing for less than 4 cups you might want to check the manual. Also check out the pour over mode if you have your pour over filter like V60/Kalita wave.

i love mine. 67g dose, 1200ml water, cone basket. gives me batchie just as good as i've bought. i do have an EK sitting next to it though so that might have something to do with it. :P

how many scoops of coffee are you using in total, and to what level are you filling up the reservoir? or are you literally using one scoop of coffee and filling up 150ml?

Thanks for the replies so far everyone - I am going to have a play over the weekend so will come back soon. Trying the pout over method is actually a good idea, might give another comparison.

Have you watched these two videos on YouTube? Perhaps they will help.