Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By robusto
  • 1 Post By robusto

Thread: Lavazza Modo Mio capsule machine

Lavazza Modo Mio capsule machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    From the outset let me make it clear I am a coffee snob. I can bore to tears anyone who can endure my tirades about roasts, E61 groups, brew temperature stability and the rest.

But on our boat we miss the morning breakfast latte. A proper machine would drain the house bateries in minutes. So we tolerate a tea with our crumpets and honey.

Now...recently we were stayed in a rather posh hotel in London which supplies Nespresso machines and pods gratis (if you ignore the $400 a night room charge).

Never having tasted a pod coffee and poured scorn at George Clooney, I thought nothing of it.
    Then curiosity got the better of me.
    So I worked out how to use it and popped in a pod.
    The taste was pretty much on par with my snob expectations. But no quite as bad as I had expeced.
    A dose of sugar (which I haven't used in espressos let alone macchiatos for 13 years) and a capsule of milk and....it was actually better than not having an espresso.

Hmmm...I looked at the watts. 1250 from memory. My boat inverter would handle that with ease. Especially since the warm-up time is approximately 30 seconds. It would draw 100 amps (ouch) but only for 30 seconds plus brewing time. That brings it down to about 1 amp. About how much my 12 volt tv uses in half an hour. Very doable, thought I.

A couple of weeks later we're back in Melbourne and come across a Lavazza Modo mio for $55. A tiny footprint, lightweight and wouldn't take much precious bench space in the boat galley. The pods however are an odd size, so no available refillable one to stuff with my freshly ground beans.

The Modo mio takes care of the espresso base. And a $18 Bodum battery frother does a fair job of frothing the milk which is pre-heated on the galley lpg stove.

We are happy with the lattes you have when you don't have a proper coffee machine.

Pros: cheap. Tiny. Lightweight. Won't run down the battery bank. Capsules have 7+ grams.
    Cons: espressos are thin, bitter. Capsules are dearer than Nespresso counterparts, fewer makes, but they do pack more coffee.

I have a commercial 2-group Grimac machine with a Baratza Sette grinder for our coffee needs. But although there's no comparison, the Lavazza will commute between boat and home when a quickie macchiato tempts me.

A little sugar and a drop of milk makes it easier to swallow....

PS. I have tried to refill used capsules with freshly ground coffee. I use aluminium foil to "seal" both the top and bottom of the capsule. I am yet to be convinced it is worth the effort.
    Paolo likes this.

If you can tolerate an automated version of a Carmencita / moka pot I would use a good grinder (plenty of hand ones or your Sette) and a Rommelsbacher. Think of the electric kettles with the separate charging base - it is like that to look at and is microchip controlled. Not as fast as a pod, however you can choose your own poison (beans) and make a better cuppa.

FWIW, the 3/6 cup version is slightly more tolerant of grinding / dosing snafus plus has a bit more zap if that is your thing. The 2/4 one also does well.

Just my 2 cents.

TampIt

Haha, that's what we had many years ago -- well, a stovetop anyway, with a tedious hand grinder. Then we briefly went to a french press....then after being spoiled at home with our proper machine lattes and espressos we ditched the lot. We made milk teas for breakfast and spoiled ourselves with mid afternoon lattes and cake at the local cafes on the Gippsland lakes. Now, we'll have Lavazza lattes for breakfast, AND still spoil ourselves with lattes at the cafes.

Incidently, perhaps I am being a little unkind saying the Lavazza pods are thin...they are not all that thin, but they are still bitter.
    Dimal likes this.