Thread: EM5300, starting on this journey

EM5300, starting on this journey

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    i did research on the topic but found very little to none in regards to this machine.
    I bought this Sunbeam EM5300 as it had good reviews online and i didn't want to break the bank on coffee equipment.
    I have either used pods before or barista machine at work, on average Vittoria beans.
    First of all, i am a bit puzzled about the grind. I have settled around the 19-20 setting and i need around 15 grams of coffee in the single portafilter to fill it up decently. At the end, the pucks are slightly wet, but they do come out nicely and in one bit. Also, single shot is around 23 seconds so i am getting there. Obviously i am on cheap coffee for now, until i get the hang of it but keen to try local roasters (Melbourne based and surroundings) to enhance the experience even more.
    Any suggestions on how to get the most out of it, please let me know.
    Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ByyUmZT28

This is a Breville instructional video. Pretty similar machine, same principles apply. There is lots of variation and different opinions on smaller detail, but this might be a good starting point.

The grind setting number is a reference which works only for you to compare which setting produced a good / poor result in your machine. Same number setting does not necessarily grind to exactly the same size on someone else's machine, so you need to do some experimenting after watching the video. Grinding finer will increase slightly the time it takes to grind the same 15g of coffee.

Hope that helped.

LG

Quote Originally Posted by GioDiCe View Post
    Obviously i am on cheap coffee for now, until i get the hang of it but keen to try local roasters (Melbourne based and surroundings) to enhance the experience even more.
    Cheers.
    I found cheap coffee/ supermarket beans, caused most of my early problems. The fresh roasted beans were much more reliable and consistent, at least for say two to three weeks. Buy only enough for one to two weeks.
    GOOD LUCK

Thanks guys, i have to say i am getting more consistent results and coffee is pretty alright. Surely, i do wanna start buying proper freshly roasted coffee and not store bought one but i'll get there. Other than that, machine works fine and has no troubles of sort so i am quite happy with the purchase. Did a cleaning and descaling cycle today just to see what it's all about too.
    Only thing is that it seems like i have to put around 16-17 grams of coffee in the single portafilter rather than 13-15 to get a good result. Otherwise the puck has still a bit of residual moisture once it is used.
    Will keep you posted and will check out what kind of beans are available in Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by GioDiCe View Post
    Hi all,
    Obviously i am on cheap coffee for now, until i get the hang of it but keen to try local roasters (Melbourne based and surroundings) to enhance the experience even more.
    Cheers.
    Hi GioDiCe, & welcome.
    I would suggest you get freshly roasted beans sooner rather than later, as from my own experience many years ago, fresh beans will not just enhance the experience, it will be a game changer! .

All the best
    Mal

Hello GioDiCe, my experience from several years ago is that supermarket beans cause more problems at a time when a newbie will be uncertain what the problem is. Fresh roasted quality beans will be consistent for up to 14 days. Try to only buy enough for a week or so.
    Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
    Hello GioDiCe, my experience from several years ago is that supermarket beans cause more problems at a time when a newbie will be uncertain what the problem is. Fresh roasted quality beans will be consistent for up to 14 days. Try to only buy enough for a week or so.
    Have fun.
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    Any particular roasters i should try?
    I live in the northern suburbs but i am happy to travel a bit or get them shipped, if that is a thing

Top of the page in BeanBay.

Java "Enjoy the journey!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

With the same intention of getting the most out of the em5300 in mind; does anyone have any idea whether none sunbeam portafilters exist that will work with this model? The one that comes with the machine is so flimsy! Also, has anyone attempted and would recommend an alternative steam wand tip that has more than one hole (one takes so long!)

Be sure to look up using a popcorn maker, about 20bucks to try roasting your own beans,
    Ive been roasting on and off for near on 12 years, even used genecafes(about 850) even bought another poppe rfew weeks ago it will change how you look at coffee! Be sure to grab a few gas bags whatever they are called to let them rest in for a few days before using them and as much as i hate to use this expression, you will thank me later!