Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Simplyhuman
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: My entry into Espresso and the 6910

My entry into Espresso and the 6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Up until recently I had a Sunbeam 2600 complete with it's pressurised baskets and I was naively happy with the espresso that I was getting out of it as a noob I was using pre-ground and over-dosing with the plastic scoop/tamp... Anyway I knew that I had to up my Coffee game so through the likes of this forum I went about researching the best & cheapest step up from where I was. Thanks to the comprehensive posts that were put up outlining the quality of espresso that can potentially be achieved with the 6910 I went about locating one... Thanks to FB marketplace I found one near by, paired with the 0480. Score! Then my learning began, tuning in all the variables that go into a "Real" unpresurised, freshly ground, quality beans, of the correct dose, tamped just right...(I'm sure I've missed something...) and then came the journey of home roasting on my behmor 1600+ wow... What a journey
    Javaphile and topshot like this.

The first mod that I undertook was the Naked PF, with thanksto another FB marketplace find I picked up a beat up machine that had a brass PF so with the help of a hole saw, made me a naked. Then came the custom turned wood handle. I now feel that I can somewhat call myself a "Coffee Snob!"
    After that I learned that the shower screen on my 6910 (the one with less holes in it was limiting the surface area on the puck being showered with water. This time through eBay I found a busted machine from which I could upgrade the shower screen I am in the process now of changing this out so I'm not sure yet weather or not it will have worth the effort...15653473936587540995790310149976.jpg15653476678354345852498874107730.jpg

I only recently found out there was 2 different shower screens. Interested to see how the new one compares (after a clean..)
    Simplyhuman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    I only recently found out there was 2 different shower screens. Interested to see how the new one compares (after a clean..)
    Very much needs a clean...
    And then there is the new pump that I have to put in it... I just need to figure out how?

Back off, main board removed..
    Unplug pump, loosen 2 screws on top of pump. Then you can turn pump nose giving you more room to get spanner spinning on top fitting.
    I think then, you can split the nose below the airbleeder, and get pump out of the top mount without cutting it.

I think that is right...

With the 2 screws loosened, you can spin the pump nose back and forth, giving you enough room to get spanner on next flats on fitting..

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    G'day Jackster

Yep, the 6910 has two showerscreens in the coffee path. The last one (lowest as you look at the machine) actually has two variants - one as in the photo, another one with a lot fewer holes grouped around the centre.

Needless to say, the "less holes ones" work better for singles after you adjust for the minor pressure variations seen "at the puck". I still have two 6910s plus a few extra showerscreens - only one is the smaller one (originally in my "bought new new in 2010" one). Presumably to help disguise the lack of grunt compared to the earlier 6910s.

Using the earlier "more holes" version on the later 6910s does not work very well as the more even flow seems to be trumped by the lack of shot grunt - one of the many reasons I prefer the earlier "pre 2010" 6910s (brass p/f's being one of the other core reasons).

Yes, I got sent a pic of one recently.
    I guess I have been fortunate to only come across the early ones.
    I will avoid the small hole screens and non round drip tray floats