• 1 Post By 338
  • 1 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By 338
  • 3 Post By 338

Thread: looking for a new machine sub $500 - dual boiler - no grinder needed

looking for a new machine sub $500 - dual boiler - no grinder needed

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

My gaggia classic has just started taking forever to warm the milk up AND I'd be considering getting a new machine anyway because when I have friends over, it's a nightmare to try and make coffees.

I've already got a great grinder so really just wanting a new machine to get a nice coffee from again.

I've been thinking dual boiler to help with milk.
    I have coffee at least 2 coffees a day myself - flat white as I work from home.

Any advice would be amazing.

PS. Based in Melbourne if anyone has one their selling also!

Any reason why you need a Dual boiler?

I doubt finding a decent one for $500. I may be wrong though.

cheers,

Chris

What are the ones you have shortlisted so far, didn't realise there was new dual boilers under $500?
    Dimal likes this.

You could get a triple boiler machine for that price.

Buy 3 of the aldi machines about to be launched - you can operate them as a two group machine with a boiler for each group and have a dedicated machine to steam.

Would love to see a picture if you get it going.

Come on gents, nothing really helpful there for the op.

But to be fair you are really going to struggle. If you want the ability to make coffee and steam you can look at both HX (heat exchanger) and dual boilers. HX machines have one boiler but via the heat exchange function they can make a shot of coffee and steam at the same time. They tend to cost less and be a bit lighter in weight as well.

But with a sub $500 budget the only machine which is commonly in this price range would be a second hand Breville BSE900/BES920 which are not as solid built machine as a Gaggia Classic and buying can be a bit risky. Next step up would be a Nouva Simonelli Oscar (HX machine) which do come up rarely in the $400-$800 range, finding one under $500 in good condition would be a good find. Your only other likely option is to score something ex-commercial like a Boema Deluxe (which do popup for $300-$500) but most are plumbed in machines which need to be connected to mains water. Good used E61 HX machines like Rocket Giotto, Isomac Domobar Juniors and similar machines tend to got for $1200-$2000.

If budget is fixed then you might have to think a Breville or as silly as it sounds second machine for steaming.

Ive recenty got hold of two em7000 anam quitehappy with them, one at home until i get the simonelli online and thebes900 rebuilt, quite a capable little machine does shotswell enough ive even been measuring 20g for the dual basket, and steams well. Give the sunbeam a look there abt 675ish new but keepan eye out here youmightfind one

Good point Sullo, another option could consider a used Sunbeam EM 6910, which is the earlier version.
    Sullo likes this.

Guys I think the OP was asking for 'new'.

Maybe the OP can clarify?
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterben View Post
    Good point Sullo, another option could consider a used Sunbeam EM 6910, which is the earlier version.
    L O L i forgot about that, i have one of those too
    Last edited by Sullo; 1 Week Ago at 08:23 PM.

you could keep your eyes peeled for the BDB on sale for 700 or so, thats a lot of new machine for the $. If its a combo deal you could sell the grinder and be close to your budget.

Cheers
    338 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Guys I think the OP was asking for 'new'.

Maybe the OP can clarify?

sorry second hand is fine - 'new' is a new one for me.

Thanks for the serious posters.
    The heat just seems to have gone on my Classic - doing a clean hasn't sorted the issue out unfortunately and I guess what I thought is I could move up a level with machines.
    I think I grabbed this classic for $100 second hand which was amazing and it's done well.

It's just a little frustrating when guests come over and it either takes forever to make four to six coffees in a row, but now it's even worse that the steamer seems to have gone kaput!

Quote Originally Posted by Sullo View Post
    Ive recenty got hold of two em7000 anam quitehappy with them, one at home until i get the simonelli online and thebes900 rebuilt, quite a capable little machine does shotswell enough ive even been measuring 20g for the dual basket, and steams well. Give the sunbeam a look there abt 675ish new but keepan eye out here youmightfind one

interesting - some of the reviews from the em7000 have been mixed which is why I was a little concerned.
    I had been working at some co-working spaces that had the Breville Oracle so it's made me a little spoilt for choice at how easy it was, compared to my Gaggia

Quote Originally Posted by lovethesmellofcoffee View Post
    sorry second hand is fine - 'new' is a new one for me.

Thanks for the serious posters.
    The heat just seems to have gone on my Classic - doing a clean hasn't sorted the issue out unfortunately and I guess what I thought is I could move up a level with machines.
    I think I grabbed this classic for $100 second hand which was amazing and it's done well.

It's just a little frustrating when guests come over and it either takes forever to make four to six coffees in a row, but now it's even worse that the steamer seems to have gone kaput!
    Have you tried descaling it? Might get it back to it's past performance for almost no money.
    Dimal likes this.

I've descaled the espresso part but not done the steam wand...would that not damage it?

Quote Originally Posted by lovethesmellofcoffee View Post
    I've descaled the espresso part but not done the steam wand...would that not damage it?
    If it was me I would unscrew the wand and soak it in Cafetto or similar, you are about to abandon the unit anyway, may as well give one last hurrah at trying to fix it. Maybe clean the steam holes with a fine pin also