Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By Seraphim2017
  • 2 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By Sullo
  • 1 Post By Sullo
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By woodhouse

Thread: Em7000 and bcg450 newly acquired used. What next!?

Em7000 and bcg450 newly acquired used. What next!?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just picked up a used em7000 and a bcg450 grinder shimmed for a finer grind. Suggestions on a good bean to start with?

First 'proper' coffee machine, no idea if its any good! Just fancied an upgrade from a pod!

Great starter kit! no comparison to pods, just get any freshly roasted (a must) beans (cant go wrong with beanbay here) and work on your technique. Plenty of great info on here to get started in the right direction.

Keep things constant, only change one thing at a time so you dont end up chasing your tail.

You will be cranking out brews bettering many cafes in no time!

Cheers

youtube dialing in a grinder if used probably very close already
    ive a em7000 at home( an 7 other machines) i like it simple easy to use.
    keep things simple an resist the urge for shineyitis,
    ask questions no dumb questions just dumb answers
    enjoy!

You can't shim a BCG450. It can have the small plastic piece that stops the grinder from going finer removed to achieve a finer grind, that maybe is what they've done to it.
    In my opinion, they never last very long once this has been done. They weren't designed to handle grinding that fine, they'll do it but grind accuracy and variances will be excessive.

If it's working ok for you now then just keep using it but I would budget for a replacement grinder in the near future. The Sunbeam EM0440 which can be bought for $99 at retailers is a good budget choice, otherwise the Breville BCG820 smart grinder is a step up in performance for around another $100.
    Sullo and Jackster like this.

Sorry, yes, the chap I bought from explained he had shaved off some of the plastic stop to get the grind a little finer, but point taken.

To be fair, for what I paid it's simply so I can learn how to do it (and even if I want to do it at all over buying coffee out!) but points taken thanks.
    Sullo likes this.

As for beans look no further: https://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/
    Javaphile and Sullo like this.

Try Espresso Wow or Coffee Snobs Gold

Thanks. I don't want to ruin good beans while practising, so am happy to forgo the finest bean rather than do a poor pour using a great bean. I know this is coffeesnobs but are there Any widely available beans that are passable for a beginner coming from a pod machine, at least until i can consistently obtain a decent extract and upgrade the bean? Im not talking cafe aurora, as at $10kg they must be pretty rough, but harris/Victoria etc at about $17-27 A bag on offer and would get me a weekend of practising in!

when im too lazy to roast for work my colleagues seem to like the Lavazza rosetta or the green Lavazza yeah yeah I know its not snob quality I can hear the groans from here but itll give some reasonable beans to practice on.
    But you WILL notice difference in taste and quality in the cup with fresher ones like beanbay sells! An someone correct me if Im wrong but every different batch you may need to slightly adjust grinder, if find I do that or am I picky?
    Seraphim2017 likes this.

oh and if your highflying on coffee buzz don't forget to up your water intake, coffee dehydrates!
    Seraphim2017 likes this.

Bcg450... My first grinder too. Piece of crap!
    Always chasing tail with the grind. I suggest making a lingo with it. Grind pretty fine, and when making the shot, just let it run the 30sec. If it pours 90ml, enjoy your lungo!
    I wouldn't bother trying to get down to the espresso, it just wasted beans.
    I even went and milled the burr carrier to get finer, but it just doesn't have the adjustability. It's like it grinds fine and coarse at the same time, but in varied amounts..

If i get a better grinder and a more basic machine ( delonghi ecp31.21) then I can always upgrade the espresso later. Anyone used that basic delonghi before, how does it rate?

Don't you already have an EM7000? You won't need to upgrade that until you've spent over $1k on a grinder and upgraded the baskets and tamper. That machine will do exceedingly well if you feed it good beans from a good grinder.

P.S. If the model starts with "DeLonghi" give it a wide berth. If you want cheaper than the EM7000 stick to the Breville models of 800 or higher number.

Thanks @level3ninja. I'll keep hold of the em7000 then and look for a better grinder than this bcg450, maybe an 800/820 or a sunbeam 440.

If you can I'd go the EM0480 over the EM0440, they can be a bit hit and miss, when they're good they're ok, but some of them you can't get a consistent grind out of no matter what you do.
    Last edited by level3ninja; 3 Days Ago at 05:02 AM.
    Seraphim2017 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim2017 View Post
    Thanks @level3ninja. I'll keep hold of the em7000 then and look for a better grinder than this bcg450, maybe an 800/820 or a sunbeam 440.
    highly recommend the 820 over anything else in that range - it's not much more expensive. you want a grinder that has the ability to grind so fine that you can choke your machine - i.e. such a fine grind that water won't flow through it properly. you don't want something that is just useable at the finest setting, because this limits you with both your dose and the coffees that you brew, because some will require finer grind settings than others. this is why having a good grinder is so important - it really matters when it comes to espresso.
    Dimal and level3ninja like this.