Thread: Leaky Frother- Saeco Via Venezia

Leaky Frother- Saeco Via Venezia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am experiencing a leaky frother when the frother is not switched on.

I have attempted to adjust the cut-off valve by taking off the s/steel top cover, loosening the black allen-keyed grubscrew and twisting the black frothing control knob anti-clockwise, but no matter what I do, the situation seems to have worsened...sometimes it drips, and right now there is quite a little stram coming out when the frother is closed off. I am at my wits end to know what to try next. (I do not use the outer plastic panerello attachment.)

Any help would from fellow-members will be appreciated. (BTW I do de-scale and clean the machine with cafetto cleaner regularly).

Thanks

Trevorbeans

Re: Leaky Frother- Saeco Via Venezia

Ive had the same problem, it started after about 12 months. We just sit a small container under steam wand to catch any leaking water.
    Good little machine, Ive just upgraded to a Silvia so Via Venezia doest get used much now.

Hi greenman,

Thanks for the reply, at least. I think upgraditis is setting in, and that may be the only cure...Ive had the V/V for over 2years and have been using u/p baskets which really did improve the taste.

May I ask what are your impressions re Silvia versus Saeco V/V, in particular espresso shots, crema level, etc., also continuous frothing ability for multiple milk coffees?

Id really value your opinion as a former V/V owner.

Regards

Trevorbeans

Its like going from the horse and cart to a Porsche!!
    It took me a while to get all the parameters right but now I get a consistently good espresso shot and great milk based drinks.
    On the VV my shots used to run about 15seconds for an espresso, if I tamped too hard it would just clog up. It produced passable espresso and the milk was fairly bubbly, but as a starter machine it was great and we still have it there as a backup.
    My shots now pour nice and slow, starting out dark brown for a few seconds and then a golden almost lumpy liquid up to 15 seconds (where I often stop for ristretto) it then starts to blond at around 20 seconds but still a great espresso. Steaming took a while to master but after help from CS members and a workshop at Epic I have now mastered good microfoam and nicely textured steamed milk for long whites etc.
    If you dont use freshly ground coffee (straight from grinder) the crema is not as good, but with freshly ground and recently roasted beans it is fantastic, you will become hypercritical when you go out to cafes after having Silvia at home for a while.
    I am using a Sunbeam grinder at the moment and it is performing well, a good grind with Silvia is important.
    Good luck with your shopping, but Silvia is hard to go past..........
    cheers
    Greenman

PS: Im a Trevor Greenman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to some good reading on Silvia!!
    http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/rancilio_silvia/

Hi Greenman,

Thanks for all that...I am already "hypercritical". Have been barista in our Church cafe for the last 30 months, using commercial Expobar
    2 group and Mini Mazzer. My home grinder is a Nemox Lux, which I prefer to the Iberital Challenge.

Probably "Silvia" will be my next purchase, spouse permitting, so probably not immediately.

Regards

Trevorbeans.