Thread: Sunbeam 4800C with Krups Baskets - fine tuning

Sunbeam 4800C with Krups Baskets - fine tuning

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a sunbeam 4800C and after quite a bit of lurking and reading here I have decided to try and get the most out of the machine by following the suggestions Ive seen on this forum.

I picked up some single wall baskets from a service centre - *All Appliance Service in Heidelberg. I know from a lot of the posts Ive read people have been asking for a source for these, so if youre in Melbourne, these guys have them, though they were pricey at $24 a piece! *Im not sure what machine they were from - I had the Krups parts numbers, but the guy just asked what sunbeam model I had and he riffled around in the back till he found two filters that fit the sunbeam portafilter. *They may or may not have been Krups, but I assume they probably were.

Either way, the double filter is a perfect fit, the single filter isnt bad, but is slightly loose in the portafilter (will fall out if you turn the hand upside down).

Ive also picked up a Gaggia MDF grinder. *

Im after some suggestions in how to get the best out of this new combination.

I first tried a grind of 5 but my sunbeam simply couldnt cope with that - no flow at all! * I tried 6 with a lighter tamp but pour time was quite long. *Im now getting a good 30 second pour with the double basket, a grind setting of 7 and a moderate tamp. *Espresso quality (at least for my untrained pallet) is signifcantly better than anything I was getting out of this machine before.

I am having trouble with the single basket though. *The holes in this basket are much bigger than in the double basket. *With a setting of grind of 7 pour time is really long, and I get a lot grinds in the shot. *If I adjust the grind to 9, I get a better pour time with more crema, but Im still getting some grinds in the shot. *Quality of the shot is good aside from the odd bit of grit! I think this problem maybe down to the larger holes in the basket? *Or maybe becuase the basket is a sligthly loser fit?

I do wonder if the two baskets are perhaps from different models/machines? *Id have thought that if the baskets were from the same machines that Id be able to use the same settings between both of them. *It will be a pain to have to constantly change settings between the two baskets. Any suggestions to rectify this problem?

Tim

Gar

Re: Sunbeam 4800C with Krups Baskets - fine tuning

Hi Tim,

It may not be the answer youre looking for but if you do a search on single dose baskets on this site and on the web, youll find that it is a lot more difficult to get the right extraction from the single basket as apposed to the double basket. Most of the single baskets are just not deep enough for the job.

It may be a waste of $24, but I would personally just stick to the double basket. It sounds like you are getting a good result from it.

Hey Tim, welcome to coffee snobs, I also have a sunbeam but I no longer persevere with it, I guess I just got to the stage of realisation that no matter what I did to it, it was just never going to produce anything close to a great shot of espresso. In saying this I am trying to gently encourage you to keep a keen eye open for a bargain while youre persevering with it... Ray.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Gar link=1190359703/0#1 date=1190630048
    Hi Tim,

It may not be the answer youre looking for but if you do a search on single dose baskets on this site and on the web, youll find that it is a lot more difficult to get the right extraction from the single basket as apposed to the double basket. Most of the single baskets are just not deep enough for the job.

It may be a waste of $24, but I would personally just stick to the double basket. It sounds like you are getting a good result from it.
    What he said ;)