Thread: New Breville Ikon!

New Breville Ikon!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    following the death of my Sunbeam Ristretto (in which I used de-pressurised baskets) I bought today a Breville Ikon.

Ive just had my first shot after dialling in my Sunbeam EM480 Grinder, and using the de-pressurised baskets, Ive gotta say the coffee is truly awesome! I thought I was making pretty decent stuff with the Ristretto (better than anything I can get at local cafes) but the Ikon is unbelievably better. Im getting half and half coffee/crema....Ive never seen that much! And the taste is heaven! Bliss! Nirvana! OK so Im going over the top, but with good freshly roasted/ground coffee this machine is outstanding value for money.....My God, what must a Silvia taste like.....

cheers
    Gary

Re: New Breville Ikon!

Hi Gary

Ive got an Ikon but alas...Im not enjoying the same quality of shots youre describing. They seem to have a very thin layer of crema & taste a litttle bitter. I do grind my own beans, however I only have pressurised baskets at the moment. I do however have some non-pressurised ones on their way so I hope they will make a difference.

Any suggestions that might improve the crema?

Warm Regards
    Andrew

Congrats Gary on the new Ikon - may it serve you well !!

Andrew, Im waiting on some un-pressurised baskets too, but in the meatime, with freshly roasted and ground beans, am getting acceptable results. Before I used supermarket beans and, yep, you said it - had little crema and bitter.

So, how fresh are you beans ? Are they "roast your own" fresh or "supermarket" fresh ?

BTW, how long have you been waiting for your baskets - been more than 3 weeks for mine, as Krupps have had "extraordinary" demand for them and have ran out - according to the distributor here.

Hey Knaff

I get my beans from Gloria Jeans (who tell me theyre beans are roasted fresh in Castle Hill as the cafe needs them). *I live in Western Sydney & dont know where else to get freshly roasted beans.

I waited for a double basket for 3 weeks (though the supplier said he received it a few days prior & forgot to call me). :-/ *The thing is though, I sent it straight to Greg Pullman to get a tamper for it. :)*So the truth is I still havent tried it out yet. *I only ordered the single basket on friday.

Can I suggest getting a Popcorn popper and a Starter Pack and start to roast your own, that way you know theyre fresh as.

So you got a Pullman huh ? Greg must be loving Breville for supplying the Ikon with such a crap tamper !!!

One last thing that came to my head - have you got the steam wand off *TIGHT*, so that no water is coming out. I found that I had to really turn the knob tight to prevent water from leaking out and I had an inkling that this affected the shots.

Andrew,

I get freshly roasted coffee from Amore Coffee at Moonee Ponds Central in Melbourne. They roast the coffee on the premises and its usually only a couple of days old. I have two sets of de-pressurised baskets, a Krupps set and a set from my old Sunbeam Ristretto that I cut a hole about a cm in diameter in the bottom layer leaving the filter portion intact.

As to the crema, (assuming a decent grinder) the biggest change was when I went to the de pressurised baskets and when I started using the freshly roasted coffee. Tonight in desperation after running out of fresh beans, I went to the supermarket and bought some Vittoria beans. Both the taste and crema of these was not in the same league as the fresh ones. The crema was about a quarter of what I was getting before I ran out of the fresh ones.

So I guess the fresh coffee and de pressurised baskets are essential to getting really good results.

Im only just beginning to fully understand what people are talking about here. If I can make coffee as good as Im getting, then anyone can!!! For the moment all I can do is hang out for some fresh beans.......

cheers
    Gary

PS if you have a Dremel, cutting the bottom out of the pressurised baskets is really easy with a bit of care.

Thanks for all your tips fellow CS

Im hoping the new baskets & a proper tamper will make an improvement to my shots. :)* To justfy the extra expense my wife reckons the coffee better taste fantastic, otherwise she is going to kill me!

I hope she at least gives me the choice of how I want to die. ;)

Warm Regards
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by knaff link=1190456164/0#4 date=1190470658

So you got a Pullman huh ? Greg must be loving Breville for supplying the Ikon with such a **** tamper !!!
    Well, yes and no. Im not surprised thats what it comes with; its a $350 machine so youre not going to expect a work of art, but on that grounds its inexplicable that machines 10 times the price have the same sort of quality tamper. Obviously its nice to sell tampers to people who appreciate them; itd just be nice if Breville would use a 58mm basket. Making a tamper to 1/10mm tolerance is a fairly slow operation, particularly on the last couple of cuts when were typically taking off about 50 microns of steel (think thickness of a strand of human hair), and stainless steel isnt available in a size close what the Breville needs so it takes a while to cut the bar down to size.

But I must say, its always satisfying when the finished tamper slides smoothly inside the basket with with hardly a wobble!

Greg

The tamper that comes with the (cheaper) Cafe Roma is better in that its handle is vertical, unlike the Ikons which is horizontal. At least you can get some shoulder action into it.

Any ideas as to why Breville (and other low-end manufacturers) go for the smaller baskets ?

I imagine cost is the main factor, not so much of the basket as that would be negligible, but that of the larger portafilter and group assembly required to accommodate the larger basket. You can still get decent results from a smaller filter basket if the system is designed properly - some La Pavonis and La San Marco use baskets smaller than 58mm; it just means theyre non-standard and harder to get interchangeable parts for.

Greg

Yes Greg youre right!

Parts seem hard to come by for machines that are non-standard sizes. *That being said though, the Ikon gave me a great excuse for getting one of your tampers. :)

Regards
    Andrew