Thread: Advise on new machine

Advise on new machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All.

Due to unfortunate circumstances the coffee making machine of my dreams will remain so for a while yet! However the bank seems to have slipped up and i have enough awards points to buy one of the following 4 machines.

Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine
    Krups K2 Plus Espresso Machine
    Sunbeam Café Espresso
    Sunbeam Espresso Cafe Crema Coffee Machine

I wouldnt know one from the other. Can anyone make a recommendations?

Thanks! :)

Re: Advise on new machine

GDay & welcome to Coffeesnobs!

Although Im still learning, one thing I have picked up from this mob is that a decent grinder is essential for reasonable espresso. *This is a lesson I unfortunately learnt a little too late!

Someone more knowledgable than I will point you in the right direction, but if your award points allow, try to get a machine that has a boiler rather than a thermoblock. *Ive had no trouble with the Breville Ikon which has a single boiler!

Good luck with your purchase! 8-)

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

The more i research the more doubts that i have about going ahead. I think its obvious reading through this forum that that the cheap coffee/spice grinder, while being very good for the spices/nuts i use it for now, will just not be up to scratch for espresso.

It might be better to just wait until i have the money to do it all properly.

Mick

Mick,

Use your rewards points next time a present is required for wife, mother or significant other.....

Then add the amount you would have spent to your savings for a reasonable machine and a good grinder.... the grinder being the more important.....

Honestly I wouldnt rate any of the machines listed above very highly..... It would be better than drinking instant - but you do need a real grinder in any case (You are correct - blades dont cut it in espresso grinding ;)).

Gday Mick,

Id generally agree with JavaB and your own comments that itd be better to wait and save for something better. Some of the ones you mentioned may be better than the others but theyre all cheap thermoblock machines from what I know.

Realistically, to get a decent setup, you need $200-$300 as a starting point for a grinder (Sunbeam EM0480, Iberital Challenge, Ascaso i2), or $400+ for something more decent like a Rancilio Rocky; and $400-$600 for a decent espresso machine such as a Gaggia Classic or Sunbeam EM6910. Another one to consider is the Lelit Combi which has an integrated grinder, discussed recently. Between these combinations youre going to be up for $600-$1000, but youll get to one degree or another a solid setup capable of very good results, better than any of the machines you mentioned by a country mile, and better than what most cafes will serve you. Youll also have scope to grow your knowledge without being too restricted by the machinery.

Good luck!

Greg

My Sunbeam Cafe Crema is over four years old and still looks brand new (inside as well as outside) even though its had a lot of use. Its a solid machine and still runs looks new.
    I recommend them wholeheartedly to beginners. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil link=1193137532/0#5 date=1193321689
    My Sunbeam Cafe Crema is over four years old and still looks brand new (inside as well as outside) even though its had a lot of use. Its a solid machine and still runs looks new.
    I recommend them wholeheartedly to beginners. ;)
    Ditto that for my Sunbeam Bar Espresso (with some minor repairs).

Thanks everyone.

Well now i really dont know what to do but i have at least 1 good option.

1) Get one of the above elcheapos listed above and a EM0480.
    2) Wait for quite some time and get a Silvia and a rocky

Im thinking maybe do 1 then 2 later.

After reading http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/july2002.html i understand why everyone seems to love a Silvia.

regards
    Mick

I have the Sunbeam Cafe Crema. Pretty much a beginner here and I am learning the technical side to making good coffee. Others have recommended to use Krups non-pressurised filter baskets on this machine - you can find out how to source these at my post here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1193121341

Ive also been recommended a hand turkish grinder. It grinds fine enough for an espresso machine without breaking the bank. From what I read the Zassenhaus are the best brand of these. I myself am saving for a Lux grinder (about $320 brand new, less second hand). Until then I am just using ground coffee (bad, i know!). Nearly there though, in about a month I should be ready to get a brand new Lux if a second hand one doesnt fall into my lap.